300 RUM 150gr. Accubond or TTSX ??

Tyler Holderby

I'm looking for advice on if this combination will it be safe and effective? I would work my way up to this if all signs showed positive..I would like to get a flat faster shooter for a 300, looking at 150gr accubond or barnes ttsx. I've read a few, not a lot. On getting 3600-3700 fps using rl-22.. I want to know is this effective on deer? I wasn't sure with the velocity. I want a flat shooting out to 350-400yds.

"Flat" to 400+ is easy. Even with a heavier bullet.

But

For your use, what is "Flat", what is "accurate "? Paper plate?

Running the numbers on a 150 ttsx @ 3700fps. 3" high at 200 yds. Dead on at 315yds. 2" low at 350yds. Something like this or similar drop is what I would be looking for. (This load is not for myself, the goal is to be able to shoot deer out to 350yds with out holding over. Be able to hold center mass at all ranges and kill a deer ) My concern is will the bullet hold up and perform at these speeds?

The Barnes will be your best bet. At those speeds and that distance, it will open up nicely. You will most likely never recover a bullet as it will most likely pass through every time. It might even pass all the way through if you shoot from butt to mouth. If I was stuck on those weights, I would go with the Barnes bullet.

I shoot 180gr ttsx's out of my rum and couldn't be happier. I thought about 165's but I'd like my barrel to last a few years

A coworker pushes a 150 in his RUM at over 4k or so he swears. I have seen the chrono numbers and others have seen it in person... So your desired numbers should easy enough. Compressed load of S-L-O-W powder is all I know.

FWIW, Not everyone believes his (very abundant) tales. :D

I shoot 180gr ttsx's out of my rum and couldn't be happier. I thought about 165's but I'd like my barrel to last a few years

We run 180TTSX in the 300RUM. Making 3241fps. Has taken game past 1000.

Working on the LRX loads.

We run 180TTSX in the 300RUM. Making 3241fps. Has taken game past 1000.

Working on the LRX loads.

I have used both on deer sized game in my 300 ultra . The rifle will shoot either bullet with 103 gr of retumbo and will shoot both very accurately. 3 shots into half inch at 100 yards. I shoot more of the TTSX because one cannot count on a perfect shot angle while hunting. I do shoot 180 grain when hunting elk or moose though. I carry my rifle with me while out in the field year round and shoot coyotes and beavers just to stay sharp.
I took several doe mule deer at over 300 yards with the 150 accubonds and both were shoulder shots and both passed thru. Of course there was lots of hemmoraging and wasted meat but not a wasted animal. you can't go wrong with either for game up to the size of mule deer.

I used to load the 150 grain scirocco before the II came out and used H4831 as my propellent. It shot lights out and was fairly quick 3550 I believe, but this was a while back with the stock 26" barrel. It was a little much on caribou softball sized hole in and out at 300 yards. I now shoot 240 SMK's mostly, but finally got some 230 bergers to try out. The 200 LRX was a good performer on game with minimal meat damage and have yet to try the 200 CEB. I would recommend a 180 grain bullet pushed hard by Retumbo or magnum. 3" high with a 180 grainer should be almost as flat as a 150. I know it will stay flatter for longer.

Reuben

I think your idea for shots out to 400 yd will work. I'd use the TSX or TTSX You could talk to John Lazzeroni and order some lazerhead bullets which are Barnes bullets that are made undersize then plated with the Robar NP3 process.

LazerHead Premium Hunting Bullets from Lazzeroni

Taking some quotes from John's discussion on the lazer head 150 gr 30 cal bullet

"I chose the 150gr weight for the 30 caliber LazerHead as I feel that it provides the best balance between velocity potential, ballistic coefficient, sectional density, penetration and weight retention."

In other words a 150gr 30 caliber Lazzeroni LazerHead will outperform most other 180gr jacketed lead bullets, providing more penetration and tissue destruction, along with flatter trajectories.

Entire article entitled Why shoot the lazerhead?: Why Shoot the LazerHead?

Thanks for all the info guys! Looks like he's gonna try and work up a load with rl-22 and 150gr ttsx. Hopefully this bullet at that speed will perform well on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.