.300 Rem sendro extractor issue

Sorry guys, I'm not an internet gunsmithing instructor. Find a reputable (preferably school trained) 'smith or one that's worked for an authorized Remington Repair Station. They can help you out. It's just not my place to take their 'bread and butter' away. They've either paid in dollars or experience or both for what they've learned. It's not fair to just give knowledge away under those circumstances. I posted just for the info that having a m16 or m-16 mini isn't the only way to fix an extraction problem with a Remington 700. Done correctly, you can "rip the rim off" as posted earlier.

Shortgrass
That's cool. All I want to know is will it be worth either replacing the riveted in extractor or going with a fool proof m 16 style. Will just the bolt have to be sent in for that mod or does the entire rifle have to go?
Also do you know of a good Smith that will do it for a reasonable price?
I'm In western Illinois .
Thanks
Tony

new bolt 002.jpg

new bolt 001.jpg

This upgrade was done by Kampfield customs 9 days from the day I shipped it, to the day I got it back. He does great work you will not be sorry.

You guys are great, TikkaMike to the point. Kampfield looks like a great shop. M-16 mini work and bolt fluting, looks, Priceless, great upgrade, adds value to rifle.

Awesome.

If you can upload a picture of the extractor work I'd like to see what that looks like on a rem bolt. I don't think I've ever seen it.

Thanks

Happy New Years gentleman.

Just off the phone with Karl at kampfield looks like he will be getting my business :)
Going with mini m 16 .
Thanks for the recommendation

Does it do it with new brass? Very common on belted brass to not get sized all the way to the belt and it starts sticking in the chamber. An M-16 extractor will not fix this if this is the cause.

All of my personal factory belted rifles do this eventually and I just toss the brass to get rid of the problem. Ruger, Sako,,Weatherby, Remington. They all do it if you run the brass hard enough or often enough. Someone makes a die that will fix this but I don't shoot my belted guns enough anymore to be much of an issue. I just toss the brass when I feel one getting sticky.

Stay away from Sako extractors on a 700. On a case failure they can become a projectile. The M-16 is pinned in and much safer.

Another problem putting a different extractor in a Remington 700 is the extractor ends up about 30 to 40 degrees too high and can cause the brass to hit the scope and fall back into the action. Here is what Remington does to help with the problem on their Lapua rifles where there isn't room for the regular extractor. They trim away part of the hook to get it to pull lower on the case. This problem is compounded by the ejector plunger being placed too high. It is factory placed to be straight across from the Remington extractor hook.

I would tend to just fix the factory extractor. It's most likely just bent a little losing is pressure. You can check this quick by removing the bolt and seeing if it snaps securely into the rim of a case. If it doesn't get much of a bite it can be rebent or simply replaced.

007egc.jpg

Hiredgun
thanks for the close up pix
and yes my dies are set to do belted mag brass , die is on shell holder when adjusted,
I tinkered with the extractor and its not worth fighting with any more, im going with a mini m16 and have it tuned to extract normal.
Thumper

That's the problem. Even seated hard on the shell holder the die will not size to the belt. Does it do it with new brass? An M-16 extractor will not fix the issue.

I'd be interested in knowing what brand of M16/M16 mini extractors don't require a bigger diameter counter bore in a Remington barrel. I've been using those made by Badger Ordnance, and they require that counter bore be enlarged, or they won't work.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.