300 R.U.M., with a 30" Barrel?

ceg1963

300 R.U.M., with a 30\" Barrel?

Hello all.

I am building a new rifle up. It is going to be a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum on a Model 700 receiver. I plan on using 200 - 220 grain SMK's, and or 200 grain Accubonds.

Initially I will use a 30" Lilja Barrel.

I have a few questions?

Is there "that" much advantage to be gained in a 30" barrel, over a 28", or even a 26" barrel? I want to punch both paper and flesh out to about 1200 yards.

Will accuracy suffer with the longer barel? Can I expect the same level of accuracy in the longer tube, that I have grown to expect in a shorter tube?

It is a #7 contour Lilja.

If I find that it is not worth it, I can always have it cut back until I am happy.

Also is there any recommended "pet" long range loads for this 30", 300 RUM? If so, what kind of velocity can I estimate?

Thanks in advance.

Re: 300 R.U.M., with a 30\" Barrel?

Bill Bailey on here shoots a 30" lilja tubed 300 rum. He has had great luck with the 240gr SMK and is trying to work up a load for the 210gr WildCat ULD RBBT bullet now.

you didnt state your twist so I will guess that it is a 1-10 so you can shoot the 240gr bullet even though it calls for a 1-9 twist.

He thumped a buck with this bullet last deer season and it laid to rest any concerns I had about a SMK preforming on big game!!!

Here is the exit wound after the bullet trveled from the front shouler to the opposite side hip.
BuffaloDeer2005003.jpg

I would tell you to try and get the bbl in a somewhat lighter bbl, so it is easier to carry. And shoot the 200-220gr bullets. I like the 210 wildcat and the 200gr accubond.

good luck
steve

Lerch, it has 1-10" twist, sorry.

It should do OK with 200, 210, or even 220 grs.

I am very familiar with the 300 WM. Most 300 WM's that I have owned and shot... liked 180 - 220 gr pills. Unfortunately, at 240 gr they started losing some stability.

However, given the velocity of the RUM, I don't know about a 240 gr pill at over 3000 FPS.

Thanks buffalobob for the vids. I can't wait! My longest deer to date was with a 300 WM, 200 gr SMKs, at 965 yards down in south Georgia.

Im not an expert here. I would say that you can add about 50 fps to whatever your reloading manual says avout velocity. I saw somewhere that optimal barrel length is supposed to be about 27.5-28". I would be fine with 30", the only concern you might have is about hanging the 30 heavy barrel off the receiver. There was a threat just recently about this, check the past threads. I dont think you will lose any speed with a 30" barrel and accuracy should be fine also. As for loads, you might want to try rl powders. http://www.accuratereloading.com/300rum.html

Get one, I love mine!!! Don't shoot anything less than 200 gr or your wasting your time. Personally, I would look @ the Berger 210 or the Wildcat 210 or possibly the JLK 210. All will have very high BCs and will fully stabalize in your 10" twist. I've had issues w/the 240s destabilizing as they go subsonic.

While everything I've fed this thing shoots .5" or better @ 100 yds, 85 gr of Retumbo under the 240 SMK loaded .010" off the lands averages .25". It's not a hot load by any means. I'm only getting 2850 fps but I can shoot the wings off a gnat @ 100yds w/it!!

Bill,

Thanks, considering the barrel contour (wgt), and the fact that I can't fit it finished in my gun safe, I've decided to lop it to 28" versus the originally planned 30".

I think a 28" barrel will still allow me to better maximize the powder column over the standard 26". Not much, but every little bit help at LR.

v/r

Heh, I guess that's one disadvantage to longer barrels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif With this round, the longer the better ballistically until you're well beyond the 30" mark I believe. Of course then you have to live with it. Where you draw the line is up to you and your needs. Don't believe those who say you need a super long barrel to justify the RUM or all you're doing is wasting powder. A 26" RUM still blows a 26" Win Mag out of the water by a huge margin (I've actually had both in the same 26" barrel). Of course longer is better for ballistics so get as long as you think you can live with but don't feel bad if you decide not to go super long (especially for a carry rifle).

I went 27" with the new barrel. That's all I want to have to deal with in and out of scabbards, vehicles, crawling through thick brush, etc. My goals for handiness as well as weight (#5 fluted) might be much different than yours of course.

I'd say 1:10 is obviously the most versitile twist for this round. Many shoot fairly light bullets very well and while not optimum for 240's, mine did very well with them. And it's very good for the range of weights people are mentioning.

I got a 1:9. One of these days, Richard is going to start kicking out some seriously big heavy nasties in 30 cal. Once he does, I believe they will finally offer enough of a BC gain over the various 210's to provide a significant advantage at extreme ranges (which I don't believe the 240 SMK does). Now when this happens, you just might really want to try them--and be kicking yourself for getting a 1:10. If that's something you don't think you'd ever be interested in, nevermind then--go 1:10. If it does interest you some, you might contemplate a 1:9 for a while before you order the barrel.

The other thing I think that pushed me to 1:9 is that with the vastly improve quality (better concentricity, balance, etc) of today's bullets you aren't shooting yourself in the foot by spinning a bullet a little faster than it needs to be spun accuracy-wise the way you were in years past. I fully expect it to shoot 200's and even 180's pretty darn well (but obviously my focus is on heavier bullets). And you ensure you're getting all the available BC from your bullets (I don't think the 1:10 does that with the 240's). Spinning a bullet too fast won't hurt BC unless you ridiculously overdo it. But marginally stabilizing it will.

I also believe there are some terminal performance advantages to be had, especially with long bullets on the edge of expanding/not expanding.

Anyway, just some points for you to ponder before you lay down the cash. I know there are probably more than a few big-cased 7mm shooters who, upon seeing pictures of those big long beautiful super high BC 200 Wildcats, wish they had enough twist to use them.

Get a 31 inch barrel. When its worn out, cut off 3 inches from its hind end, rechamber and thread that same hind end and you've got a virtual brand new 28-inch barrel for only the cost of those two tasks.

Barrel length typically has little to do with accuracy but will effect muzzle velocity. I doubt you would notice any significant change with a 3-inch difference in length from 31 back to 28 inches.

BJ has had great luck with the 240gr SMK in his rum with a 1-10 twist. Shoots .5 or better everytime. Only problem with it is that once you get to 1600yds the bullet has heart attack. I believe that BJ is only marginally stabilizing this bullet and once it hits the subsonic transition it destabilizes.

It is a amazing thing to see, the gun will shot moa to 1/2 moa out to 1500yds and then within 100yds it will group in a 10ft circle.

It think a 1-9 twist would be ideal. BJ's bbl is also a tighter bore than normal. I dont fully understand this so maybe he can ellaborate more.

I also hear that Hornady is coming out with something pretty sweet here soon. Will have to get back with you all on it when I get some more info

take it easy
steve

Thanks guys.,

I've got it at 28". It is a Lilja 1 in 10 with a brake.

I went over today and looked at it again. It amazes me watching a piece of steel become a working piece of art! He is going to start fluting monday. the action is square. The bolt face and lugs are tight. As soon as it is finished, I will ship it to Black Ice for a coat of teflon.

I will post pics.

Thanks all.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.