300 GR SMK at medium Distance

Ultramag45

Hey Guys. I really think I have been reading too much!!!!..been shooting the 300smk alot lately out of my 338 RUM..It is pretty impressive...Killing Steel.They just shoot so darn good....I Have read a ton of posts on the Smk , as far as paper bullets and not hunting bullets..and vise- versa. bunch of guys use them on deer and elk, with good results, and then you get guys that say they are BAD NEWS for game unless you are past 800 yards .Well for myself I have the capability of shooting 1000 yards, but kill alot of stuff in that 3-6 hundred yard range...AM I WORRIED FOR NOTHING...I LIKE TO SQUARE ELK AND DEER UP IN THE SHOULDER or head on, get that shot alot!!!...I have always shot accubonds, and have overall good performance, Also been shooting the 280 LRX with great accuracy out to 1000yards..kinda worried about them not opening up on a deer at 500...Any help would be much appreciated, on either side of the question...since I have a ton of bullets...1000 smks, 1000 accubonds, 400 lrx.. thanks guysgun)

I have shot lots of deer with the 300gr SMK, from virtually every angle and at close to medium range . Only one ever took a step and it went about 15 yds.These were shot with a .338 EDGE with a velocity of 2850fps. Gary

Here is some data for you to chew on. Bull Elk, 526 yards, 300 SMK from a 338 Lapua , 2800 MV. One shot and he traveled maybe 40 yards.

The bull from the shooting location.

DSC00619Medium.jpg

The bull on the way out.

DSC00627Large.jpg

Shot placement.

DSC00643Medium.jpg

Recovered 300 SMK , just under the hide on far shoulder.

DSC00685Medium.jpg

We have taken numerous big game animals with the 300 SMK travelling at 3,200 fps at distances from a few hundred yards out to just short of a mile. All without incident, and some with dramatic results. :D
Fear not...

people that say not to use them on game have never tried them on game.

dont worry about them not doing their job... they work great.

A lot of the results that you're hearing are good results at fair distances, my first kill was a moose at 75 yards, broadside, behind the shoulder. He didn't take a step. Weatherby 338-378 at about 2900.

Gus

kinda worried about them not opening up on a deer at 500...

Just asking, why would you be worried about a bullet not opening with a higher velocity at closer range...but not worry about it at longer range and slower impact velocity?

I have shot deer from 75 yards to well over 1000 yards (cannot remember one taking a step) and elk at 1000. One word- "Hammer"!

THE 280 LRX not expanding on a deer, as they are a tougher bullet then SMK.. Love the positive feedback on the SMK..that is what I will be hunting with this year..2 good deer hunts..WY and CO..and 1 elk hunt in WY...thanks guys

Last fall my hunting partner and I were hunting cow elk in Wyoming. We got above a herd of several hundred elk on a rock ledge. Both of us were shooting 338 rums. He shoots 300 smk and I shoot 300 Bergers. I gave him first shot. At the crack of his shot, the herd took off, I found a cow that stopped at about 200 yards and broke her neck (she moved when I pulled the trigger) I asked my buddy if he got his and he said the shot felt good and he was sure it hit. Several minutes later I observed a lone cow acting sick about 400 yards below us. She wasn't with the rest of the herd that left. I told him I thought she was his elk. He couldn't believe it because he figured his cow had dropped. I watched the lone cow go behind a tree and never come out. It turned out to be his elk. It was only about a 200 yard shot. The bullet didn't exit. In hind sight we wish he would have opened her up and looked for the bullet path and remainders of the bullet, but we typically cut off the quarters and peel the back straps without gutting. I watched him drill two cows the year before both at about 750 yards and they both dropped in place. Not sure what happened.

On another note, I killed two antelope, a muley buck and a bull elk all drt with the 300 grain Berger last year on ranges between 350 and 620 with the bull dropping in his tracks at 550 and the bullet didn't exit. I wanted to do some bullet recovery on the bull, but some noise in the timber below me that resembled chewing sounds from a grizzly below me in the timber made me rethink staying there any longer than necessary. Maybe the carcass bones will still be there this year and I might see someithing.

We have taken numerous big game animals with the 300 SMK travelling at 3,200 fps at distances from a few hundred yards out to just short of a mile. All without incident, and some with dramatic results. :D
Fear not...

Joel,

You got my curiosity up. What are you using to push a 300 SMK to 3200fps? I'll bet the results are dramatic!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.