300 gr 338 cal Accubond---It is coming!

I have been watching Midway and tried to backorder the accubonds for months.

Friday put 3 boxes on b/o finally. any info on load work up would be great. I will be using a Defensive Edge built 338 edge and will be heading to the Alaska peninsula for brown bear in May.

Thanks in advance

My supply should be here early next week.

Having seen these pics of the new bullets, I will admit, I am a bit disappointed but not suprised, appears all Nosler did was lengthen the bullet body to make a 300 gr bullet.

I was hoping they would redesign the Ogive design and give us a modern bullet design but sadly not the case.

Not saying these new bullets will not be great for big game hunting, even at longer ranges by any means but had they went with a bullet profile similiar to the SMK, they could have easily broken the .8 BC level. AND in spite of what most of the Nosler brains believe, it would easily stabilize in a 1-10 twist standard barrel.

Instead we got another chunky, blunt ogive, heavy bullet that is nothing more then a stretched 250 gr Accubond. Which is exactly what they did when they made the 250 gr Accubond, simply added 25 grains of bullet to the same design by just lengthing the bullet body and as a result, BC improvement was very, VERY limited. In most applications, the velocity advantge of the 225 gr bullet overshadowed the very slight increase in BC value of the new 250 gr bullet.

I am sad to say that I believe it may be the same case here, only to a larger extent because of the 50 grains heavier bullet weight.

Looking at the bullet, I would estimate this bullet to be hard pressed to break .65 in BC. The Barnes 265 gr LXR bullet is a longer, sleeker bullet design with more aggressive ogive design and it only musters a BC of .620 from my drop testing. I do not believe it will be anywhere near the .72 they are advertising but I really hope I am wrong.

Back to the comment about the very long baring surface, that is a real problem in velocity production. That with the very heavy jacket design will cause a significant velocity issue. I believe velocity potential will be slightly less then that of the SMK in same capacity chamberings.

Time will tell, these opinions are simply from these pics, bullets will be in hand soon and then we will instantly know how they perform compared to the standards we already have. If they make upper .6 BC levels and can be driven to the same speed as the SMK I will be happy with the increased terminal consistancy, if they fall below this BC level and have a velocity limit because of the long body design, I feel they will not be the barn burner we were all hoping for.

I know, tough words, maybe to tough and I truely hope I am proven wrong but do not expect to be......

Time will tell.

Fiftydriver,
My thoughts exactly. Nosler has hardly gone out on a limb with this bullet design.
Looks like the thinking has been along the lines of a medium range big game projectile.
I wonder how thick the jacket is? Typical of Accubonds, the jacket gets much thicker with the heavier bullet in any particular calibre.

Nosler told me that their testing indicated the BC to be closer to .730.
Recovered bullets from their ballistic gel glue they use, blocks are 12" long and the bullet penetrated 27".

338300grABGelitin.jpg

338300grAB2675fps.jpg

338300grAB1850fps.jpg

JD338

That is quite good expansion from the big 300 but it is as expected at those velocities.

Nosler can claim what the like with regard to B.C. Once the boys on this site get their hands on them the truth will come out.

This will be quite easy actually. Just shoot them head to head with the SMK at a 100 yards for a POI and velocity check, then straight out to a grand and beyond for a B.C. comparison.

I was hoping this bullet would be a good offering for my 338 Allen Magnum for those that wanted to use it at ranges between 500 and 1000 yards. It appears it may be pretty aggressive in expansion at those velocity. Curious what will happen when you add 500 fps to the impact velocity at longer ranges with the Allen Magnum......

We will see.

Pretty windy at the range, temp 53* but here are my results.....
Remington M700 LSS with a Mark 4 4.5-14 scope.

338 RUM
300 gr AB
91.5 grs Retumbo
Fed Case
GM215M primer

Avg MV 2742 fps
ES 12
SD 6

92.0 grs Retumbo
Avg MV 2758 fps
ES 17
SD 9
Slight signs of pressure

Both shoot under an inch at 100 yds.

I will try to get out again this week and concentrate on accuracy. Next weekend I am shooting 600 and 800 yds.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts