300 Berger or 300 SMK for hunting?

Test fired a few rounds at 1941 yards today.
Used 96 grs of Viht N570 behind the 300SMK, and opened fire at at spot on a rock.
Cold bore was a 1/4 moa low and right, and the rest of the shots landed about 1 moa low of my aiming point. Vertical spread was very low, it seemed. Happy with the result, it was a hasty shooting since I was lying next to a road. Didn't want to **** of anyone out walking or riding a bike with the blast from my brake ;)

Will test at 2200 yards tomorrow, if weather is ok.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1eTHBwcR8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUdAUB-Fmhowf4BA3CJr-wJw]338LM at 1775 meters - YouTube[/ame]

You need to try some Berger 300 gr Elite hunters same as the OTM compares to the BC Just a liter jacket so they have more expansion,

At your velocity range, the SMK will offer more consistant expansion at ranges over 800 yards and especially at ranges over 1000 yards compared to the OTM. As mentioned the Gen 1 or hybrid hunter may offer a bit more expansion consistency but the OTM is a harder bullet.

I use them in my 338 Allen Magnum as the standard bullet and have never seen any problems with expansion out to well past 1500 yards but that is with 500-600 fps more velocity at hand which makes a big difference.

The 300 gr SMK has lost a bit of SEXINESS with the long range crowd but its still a very potent bullet choice, especially for big game hunting at long range.

+1. I love the SMK it has worked well for me at a bunch of ranges and I trusted it on a Dahl sheep hunt wher it too performed flawlessly. It may not have the sex appeal of some of the others but it works

I am an elk guide in Colorado and ended up using my edge on 23 different elk this year. I run the SMK at 2795 in a 1-9.5 twist. Never needed more that one shot, which most were from 400-800yards. The expansion was very good on all shots even my bull at 1234. I would like to try the bergers but it is just hard to find them in stock. The SMKs will work great.

Mike

Here is a picture of a recovered 300 gr OTM launched at 2830 and recovered from a 6 point bull elk at 750 yards. Barrel is a Broughton 5C with a 9.3 twist

Attachments

• P1190441.jpg
    P1190441.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 23
I just bought some SMK 300 gr to shoot out of my 338 lapua. I can't seem to get the Bergers to group. Going to try one more time and then, I'll load SMK. MAY LOAD SOME OF THEN ANYWAY. Just trying to get it to work. Retumbo and fed 215 in lapua brass is the rest.

I just bought some SMK 300 gr to shoot out of my 338 lapua. I can't seem to get the Bergers to group. Going to try one more time and then, I'll load SMK. MAY LOAD SOME OF THEN ANYWAY. Just trying to get it to work. Retumbo and fed 215 in lapua brass is the rest.

I had good results with 300g smk in 338 Lapua using Lapua brass GM215M primers 90.8g Retumbo

The only funny thing I have found with the bergers & even called Berger and they confirmed is they have a sealing ring right wear the boat tail connects sizing at.339 it gave me some trouble when resizing with Wilson dies the bullet would fall into the case.

Thank you, Kiwi Greg.
That was the answer I was looking for. I will load some SMK's tomorrow and go way beyond my previous loads and see if I can speed them up. The Bergers may have to be seated deeper in the cartridge to gain more speed, since the OAL has changed dramatically. When the barrel was new, my max OAL was 97mm with the Bergers. Now it is 103mm. And I am still not in the lands ;) But since the SMK has a different shape, I might hit the lands and speed them up. I will try 93-94 and 95 grs of Viht N570, and measure the head with a micrometer tomorrow, after firing. My accuracy load has allways been 89 grs of 570, giving my 855 m/sec, but now I get 830 m/sec. 93 grs of 570 behind the OTM was only 838 m/sec yesterday, and that is slower than anything I have. Last year they were 883 m/sec, using the same charge.

I have ordered a new barrel, same as this one, but with a 1:9 twist. Lothar Walter, SS, Match, 32" long and 1.10 inches at the muzzle. It will not be ready until december, and then the hunt is over.

Thanks for your input guys, it is allways a pleasure :)

your max OAl of 97mm from OGIVE to base ? Also how far off lands ?

The only funny thing I have found with the bergers & even called Berger and they confirmed is they have a sealing ring right wear the boat tail connects sizing at.339 it gave me some trouble when resizing with Wilson dies the bullet would fall into the case.

I'm having the same issue!! When I resize and then seat a bullet, it's loose. Sometimes. Not
Always

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.