.300 Ackley

Jim Hundley

Would somebody that shoots this round tell me all about it?
How is it formed,would it make a good hunting round,accuracy potential,safe velocity with 180-200 gr. hunting bullets.Is there a factory round that can be substituted in case of lost Ackley ammo?Or,is there a site that I could go to find out for myself?
Thank you,
Jimmy

I've shot a .300 Ackley in 1000 yd. competition since 1994. I have formed cases from 300 & 375 H&H and 300 & 340 weatherby brass. I form cases either by shooting bottom end loads or using the cream of wheat method. My chambers are .334 necks, which means I have to turn the necks, but there are versions that have larger neck dimensions. Velocity in my guns runs about 3025 to 3100 fps with 200 to 220gr match bullets in a 30 to 32 inch barrel. Each barrel will vary. I'm not trying to win the speed race, looking for the most accurate load. Would make an excellent hunting round but personally I would go with the stock 300 Wby or 300WM. In a hunting rifle, you'll never know the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.