300 aac blakout barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by bimbi40, May 3, 2013.

1. bimbi40

bimbi40 Member

i want to buy a 300 aac blackout barrel for my rem 700 sa, i saw them on aac webpage and they are expensive, looking online i found a mountain green bbl for 51 dlls, so im looking for somebody to make me one, specs

16.5 inch long
    medium contour
    front threaded 5/8-24
    For a rem 700 sa receiver
    just like the one they have on aac webpage

if somebody is interested send me a pm

2. Homer Oz

Homer Oz Active Member

G'Day Fella's,

Bimbi40, the thing you need to remember about most AAC .300 Blackout rifles is, they generally have a 1 in 7" or 1 in 8" barrel twist! I recently done a dealer transfer on a new Rem 700 in AAC .300 Blackout, and it had the following details "1 in 7 Twist" stamped on the barrel!!!

The twist need to be this quick, to stabalise the long heavy bullets (200+ grn), commonly used in this cartridge!

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Homer is right about the twist. You need a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8.

Green Mountain make decent barrels but I don, t think they make any 30 cal barrels in tight twist.
    So be sure that the barrel twist is no more than 1 in 10. A 1 in 8 would be your best bet IMO.

My guess is that the twist is somewhere around 1 in 20 on the barrel you found (Ok for a Muzzle
    loader but not for center fire).

It would be a shame to build the rifle and find out that it would not shoot accurately much over
    100 yards.

Brownell's has some barrels in stock and for the cost Shillen is hard to beat if they have the one
    you want.

J E CUSTOM

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

It my understanding that the twist rate has more to do with the subsonic nature at which the round was designed to be operated. other wise firing standard 300blackout/wisper ammo would be fine to do from a 1-10?