$300 - $500 Tactical scope

nksmfamjp

I'm pretty set on the Super Sniper 10 x 42, but I would like to know if there is anything in the price range that might be better for a 100 - 1000 yard tactical scope. I realize that I should be spending > $1000 to scope my Savage, but I just don't have the cash. . . .period!

Thats what I was gonna ask. Whats your definition of tactical. If you want target turrets, or clicks, I would look at the Leupold vx2, 6-18x40 Target, fine duplex. We have several of them, and with a flat shooting caliber will get you to 1000 yards no problem. Very nice clear and bright scopes for the money. I think there about $450. Best scope under $500 in my opinion.

What is tactical to me:
tough
AO
mil dot or moa recticle
target turrets 1/4 moa
good enough glass

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 - 14.

Everything you say except a tactical nametag. $260

Zeiss 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x44 with mil-dot, send it to Zeiss to get upgraded with target turret.

66moa, and great glass! The 3-9x40 costs 450 + upgrade (150-200$)

YOu will not find a stouter scope for the money then a Super Sniper. No they are not as good as a $1000 scope but they are better then most $600-$800 scopes.

To get the vertical adjustment of the SS you will need to get into the Nightforce range of scopes. No Leupold, save the single power Mk4s will compete with the SS in vertical adjustment which has right around 100 moas. Plus the use of the mil dot reticle would add another 18 moa from the reticle intersection to the base of the mil dot system.

They are relatively small scopes, they are light and they are short. They can also be mounted very low on the rifle for superior shooter comfort with conventional cheek pieces.

I have shot several of these scopes, including all the available powers, 10, 16 and 20x. All have performed very well and much better then anyone would expect for a $300 scope.

The paralax adjustment is often not calibrated correctly for the range indicators but this is common with all scopes that have yardage indicators on the P adjustment. This is why the top end scopes generally do not have yardage indicators, you much adjust by what your eye sees, the correct way anyway so this is not an issue.

Brightness and clearity will compete with most $600-$800 scopes. I have used the 16x SS to test rifles out to 2200 yards with good results. At one mile, the 16x scope is plenty for targeting milk jug sized targets.

For 1000 yards, many will be suprised to hear this but 10x is plenty for most targets except perhaps small varmints like gophers and P. dogs. For chucks and larger game, 10x is up to the task. Personally for dedicated 1000 yard shooting I would personally prefer the 16x if I were shooting chuck size targets but for deer size game and larger do not think you need alot of magnification power to precisely place your shots, its not true.

For the money, you will be hard pressed to find a scope that will give you what the SS will. None will give you anywhere near the vertical adjustment and being a fixed power scope, it will be very hard to beat the ruggedness of the SS.

One thing I have heard is that the Side Focus is not as good as the rear ring focus models. I have not tested the SF model but for the extra $100 I do not feel it would be worth it. The rear position is quite practical to use when looking through the scope.

Kirby Allen(50)

Midsouth has Nikon Tactical for $490 if I'm not mistaken. I think they're much better than Tasco SS.

[ QUOTE ]
Midsouth has Nikon Tactical for $490 if I'm not mistaken. I think they're much better than Tasco SS.

[/ QUOTE ]

$599 just a minute ago.

Check on Weaver Scope, specifically the V Series. Their micro trac system works great. I mounted a V-16 on my 300 Win Mag and the dial works great. With a canted base, you might be able reach 1000 yards with no problem. The service is also excellent. I lost a dial cap on mine while hunting and the factory sent me a replacement pair, free of charge.

I own two Burris Scope. An 8X32X44 Signature Series mounted on my Mauser 6MM Remington and a Fullfield II 4X16X44 Ballistic Flex on my 243 Sako Forrester. Both scope have superb glass and well made. I haven't have experience with their Tactical so I can't comment on that.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.