$300-$400 scope recommendation

emtyhopper

I'm looking for scope recommendations for a varmint rifle. I would like to keep the cost below $400. I will be mounting it on a remington 700 vs chambered in 223 that I will be using for prairie dogs.
Something with the upper magnification in the 18 to 20x range seems ideal to me, but I may go a little lower. Most of my shooting will be between 100 and 400 yards.

Let me know what you would pick.
Thanks in advance.

I was shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards with my SWFA 6x ss a few weeks back. No issues. I think the 10x version would be ideal for this and it only costs $300. Very dependable and great mil quad recticle.

I think I have it narrowed down to either the leupold vx2 6-18x40 or a bushnell elite 4500 6-26x40. I like the extra magnification of the bushnell, but I own other leupolds and know they are good scopes.
Does anyone have experience with these or even just the bushnell?

I'm looking for scope recommendations for a varmint rifle. I would like to keep the cost below $400. I will be mounting it on a remington 700 vs chambered in 223 that I will be using for prairie dogs.
Something with the upper magnification in the 18 to 20x range seems ideal to me, but I may go a little lower. Most of my shooting will be between 100 and 400 yards.

Let me know what you would pick.
Thanks in advance.

Without a doubt I would go with a Bushnell 4200 or 4500 in 4-16X. Used or new, I have great results. If I told you what they compare favorably with you wouldn't believe it.

I got a chance to look at the bushnell elite 4500 6-24x40 and the leupold vx-2 6-18x40 side by side (in a store) today. The bushnell seemed better all around to me. It's even smaller than the leupold.
I called bushnell to ask them about the range of adjustment because their website shows 26 inches at 100 yards. They assured me that it had 52 moa of adjustment, 26 in one direction. That's plenty for me.
I believe I know which one I will be buying. Thanks for the suggestions.

emtyhopper,

Some here have looked through the VX-6 and are thoroughly impressed. I was impressed until I compared it and the Swarovski it to my Bushnell. I still have the Bushnell. The others I sold. Now I have three of the 4 1/2-30X50 and one of the 4200 4-16X40. I still have Weaver V24 6-24X42 only because no has purchased it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts