30 stw

I went thru the same dilema recently. I have new reamer and dies for the 300 JARRETT if you are interested in buying them.

When the 8mm rem mag came out it was necked to everything by about everybody. I focused on the 25, 264 and 7mm and did quite a few of each. Twenty something years later it gets a new name the STW. When you get to the 30, 338 and 375 you have a 300 wby, 340 wby and 375 wby or 375 AI basically so I saw no improvement there. In 7mm it was a 7mm-300 wby which I had been doing for a few years but still played with this one. Also same as the 264-300 wby in 6.5 caliber. Basically I was toying with it to get wby velocities with cheap 8mm rem mag brass. But in the end all you got is a weatherby off the 300 mag case. Why not just get a 300 wby mk 5 or accumark unless you just want something everyone else shelved 25 years ago.

What are some of y'alls ideas about this gun? Pros/Cons

Just wondering, thinking of building one soon.

There is nothing wrong with it but the 300 Weatherby is the ballistic equal to it,

And as LTLR said it is simply a 8mm rem mag necked down to 30 cal. Before it got the name
STW it was known as the 30 super in my neck of the woods.

The 7mm STW in my opinion is the best use for the 8mm cases, but they are getting harder
to find.

The 300 RUM will out perform it and brass and ammo will be easier to get (Even now).
And almost every smith has a 300 RUM reamer and dies are available.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys for all the replies so far.

My first reason for not building a Weatherby is that I an not a huge Weatherby fan at all (just a personal thing I guess), i'm just not that fond of them.

Second, I am not a fan of any sort of Magnum 7mm, I love a 30 cal though (another one of those personal things)

Third is I have a 700 long magnum action, therefore I am not going to by a Weatherby mk 5 or accumark.

I shoot a 300 win mag, and I love the .30 cal., and have a .30 cal, so I am not 100% sold on a 30 STW yet. Just considering it.

I have a 30 STW that I built as a heavy F-Open rifle. I shot a 448-19X out of 450, 800, 900, and 1k at Quantico in April with it. Use Win 7STW brass necked up, have a Redding 7stw Type-S neck sizer, just need the appropriate bushing, and use a Forster 300 Win Mag Micrometer Seating Die, set up short in the press. Have had no problems and am extremely pleased with the accuracy

Good luck with it what ever you decide to chamber it in.

Dave

Since you like the 30's and have a 700 mag action I would do a 300 ultramag and I think you would be very satisfied. You would have all the power you would ever need and easily available brass and any other loading components.

I have a 30 STW that I built as a heavy F-Open rifle. I shot a 448-19X out of 450, 800, 900, and 1k at Quantico in April with it. Use Win 7STW brass necked up, have a Redding 7stw Type-S neck sizer, just need the appropriate bushing, and use a Forster 300 Win Mag Micrometer Seating Die, set up short in the press. Have had no problems and am extremely pleased with the accuracy

Good luck with it what ever you decide to chamber it in.

Dave

That is the kind of info that I was looking for, How does your 30 STW shoot at distance, and close in at say 100 yds?

Since you already have a 300WM, I would go with the 30 STW in a 26" barrel. it will give you about 100-150 fps more than the WM. If you go with a longer barrel. then I would go with the 300 RUM, to take advantage of the extra powder capacity. I would not do the 300 RUM in a 26" barrel, as you gain very little over the 30 STW, but burn alot more powder, and recoil doing it.

Since you already have a 300WM, I would go with the 30 STW in a 26" barrel. it will give you about 100-150 fps more than the WM. If you go with a longer barrel. then I would go with the 300 RUM, to take advantage of the extra powder capacity. I would not do the 300 RUM in a 26" barrel, as you gain very little over the 30 STW, but burn alot more powder, and recoil doing it.

My 300 WM already has a 26" barrel, it is a Ruger No. 1 1B.

I am probably going to go with a 27"-28" barrel for the 30 STW.

I am bias and my opinion don't mean a lot. Here goes anyway,I own two 7mm STW's and would never change from the .284 bullet.Fact,it will shoot flatter farther than a .30. Now lets look at efficiency,yes the 7 and 30 Rummies will shoot a little faster so will the 30-378 and 7.21 Lazzeroni firebird.BUT I said efficiency, look how much more powder you have to use to get the small gain in velocity with the same weight bullet.............

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.