30 Cal performance on Elk

swebb38

I wanted to know if anyone had any info on long range performance with 300 win mag or even a 330 Dakota? I was trying to get muzzle velocities and bullet weights from any of the 30 or 338 cal handguns. I have them in rifles but I cant seem to get much in the Encore pistols.
Thanks
Stacy

300H&H,
A Dakota would be a real no-go in an Encore. The WSM's are really pushing it and if you load it to bolt levels you will not be pleased. Most companys won't even chamber a Encore for the WSM's even. Some will chamber the Encore the larger caliber RUM's-again this is the minority.
There is probably a good reason why Thompson does not chamber a head size over the standard 7RM case. Even with the standard magnum size head in a Encore you can flex teh action to the point where the frame will pop open on you and your brass will experience case/head seperation. I have been there and done that with a 338WM a number of years ago. You can have good accuracy and case life with any of the standard magnums, but again you cannot load them to the levels you would in a bolt rig. With that in mind, I typically consider the 06 case improved as my preference.
Kirby has had some experience in this area as well with the Encore and I hope he chimes in.
The SP site is the most active one I know of for specialty handguns. Steve, Marc, and I even moderate the LR handguning section.
Most of the guys at SP are not going to be shooting the heavy high BC bullets for LR.
On my old 16" 7.82 Patriot XP (Short action 30 caliber lazzeroni case) I pushed a 180 grain SGK @ 2775 fps from the muzzle. The 300 Winnie in the Encore couldn't touch it velocity wise.
You can basically take the magnum rifle data and subtract 300 fps and that is about what you wil get in a SP chambered with the same set-up.
There is my 2 cents worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoops,
I meant to post this for ballistics for the xp-100. I emailed Kirby and we talked about the 300 vs the 338 dakota, and I see the max loads and velocities posted in my reloading manual, but I was leaning towards the 300 Dak in favor of being able to load smaller bullets for central tx deer and varmint. I also will be Elk hunting in CO with the XP and so thats also a large part of the info I need to find out. I would like to be able to take a bull at up 800 yrds, given weve seen them from 600 on out. Terminal performance at 800 plus from a pistol on a bull elk is going to be a challenge, so Im leaning to the 330. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Stacy

In the XP, I believe that either the 300 or the 330 Dakota will get you to your goal (given the right, bullet, conditions, etc.), even with elk.
FWIW I believe the 7 Dakota can meet your goals.
I would go with your own personal preference.
What do you want?

Ernie, Thats the thing, I really have no idea what I want in the caliber. Ive been shooting 30 cal so long that I have alot of reloading supplies for it, but I want excellent performance on Elk and realisticly at around 600-800 on Bulls. I would also like to be able to shoot deer with it around here and maybe varmints also. Do you think the 7 can give that performance? I would be just fine with it if I knew that it could do the job, as long as I did my part. I could always load down for deer and varmint and probably have better accuracy than the 300 with the 7mm.
Anyway let me know what you think and I will go from there.
Sincere thanks for all the help
Stacy

I have a 330 Dakota in a XP-100 being chambered soon. It will have a Broughton .338, 9 twist barrel 1.250 for 4" HV taper finished at 18" with a brake. I have a new bolt form Dave Kiff for the 330 Dakota bolt face. Hand gun will be around 11 pounds and am hopping to shoot it with a rifle scope. Hoping to get around 2400 fps with a 300g SMK and 2800 with a 225 Accubond

I have a HS in a 300 WSM, I am getting 2830 fps with a 165 gr Ballistic tip. this is out of a 15" barrel.
I would use this on cow elk but would most likely go to a partition in the same weight for bull elk. Will soon have a larger bore HS in a 2000P , will post results with 180 & 200 grain pills then.
hshunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.