30 Cal 260's

Nick......That's what I thought you were getting at. What offset/angle do you think would be safe? I went with the .014" initially to be on the safe side for the reasons you mentioned....Rich

Changing the tip "only" without a "NOSE JOB" would make no significant difference. What Groper is recommending is a more angular ogive, maybe from the current .014" offset to an .018" offset or??......Rich
Yeah, that's what I was meaning--putting a bit more angle on the tip which would require an increase the length of the entire nose slightly, but not so much you'd need new dies.

Anyway, we may be getting ahead of ourselves. As I said before, the current nose profile is nothing to sneeze at. Getting bullets that stay together and are accurate is the big fish that needs to be fried before we worry too much about refinements.

Yeah, that's what I was meaning--putting a bit more angle on the tip which would require an increase the length of the entire nose slightly, but not so much you'd need new dies.

Anyway, we may be getting ahead of ourselves. As I said before, the current nose profile is nothing to sneeze at. Getting bullets that stay together and are accurate is the big fish that needs to be fried before we worry too much about refinements.

That's kind of the way I see it. If this is successful, we can move on if desired, but we can always fall back on what did work:D

More success! I shot a couple of groups with them and they worked. I was confident enough to throw a few over the chronograph--96 grains of US869 clocked 2740. I'll up that to 98 grains for around a mild 2800 next time. That should be enough in the cool weather as they'll speed up a fair amount in the summer heat.

Accuracy wasn't spectacular but it was far from a fair test yet. I hadn't scrubbed all the copper from my barrel in a while and I haven't begun playing with seating depth yet. Each group had two holes close to each other so they're showing potential. I'll try them at a different seating depth and with a clean barrel next time. I'm starting to get confidence that these will work for me.

A legit .4+ G7 bullet at 2800+ here I come!

Encouraging! Maybe you can try some at long range for a real world b.c.? Also, expansion at low velocity would be nice:). pm me and we can talk about the next step....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.