30 Cal 260's

Rich,

Ok ive modelled your projectile in 3D CAD as per your dimensions... it came out at 262grains. You didnt give me all the dimensions so i made a few small assumptions such as a jacket thickness of 0.020" etc
260SXR.jpg

260SXRrendered.jpg

260SXRexploded.jpg

These are the principal moments of inertia for your complete projectile, taking into account the aluminium tip, core material and jacket in their relative locations- sorry i live in a metric country :)

Ix (axial) = 1.1166 g.cm^2
Iy (transverse) = 18.926 g.cm^2
Ky = (radii of gyration) = 10.540mm

Now the only other variable we need to know is the Cma or pitching moment derivative. There is only 2 ways to get an accurate number for this. 1 is live testing in wind tunnels or ballistics range with doppler radar etc, the other is with advanced CFD modelling- neither of which i can help you with. However, we can make some reasonably good assumptions based on the McDrag work done by Robert McCoy. Using his formulas and stability equations, we can assume a Cma of about 4.6 for your projectile aerodynamic geometry. - This is a higher than usual number due to the extreme length of your projectile.

So using the above numbers, i calculate a stability factor as follows, assuming velocity of mach 2.5 (~2850fps) and std atmosphere and temp at sea level.

Sg,
from a 1:8 twist = 1.61
from a 1:9 twist = 1.27
from a 1:10 twist = 1.02 - will most likely tumble.

So the ideal twist rate at sea level is 1:8.3 for an Sg of 1.49.

Take it upto 5000ft, and your ideal twist rate is 1:9 for a 1.47 stability factor.

Take it upto 9000ft, and a 10 twist will work just fine :)

So a 1:9 will work ok with an Sg of 1.27. Its a little lower than ideal and you may notice some slightly poorer accuracy at short range under 300yds, but it should be ok other than that.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick.......Ya, I forgot a couple of dimensions. I came in late from taking "my Bride" to a valentines dinner and didn't want to run up to my shop. The jacket was a 1.4" J4 and I haven't gone up to measure thickness yet but I think the nose is approx. .012" and the base around .025"? I truly appreciate your help running the numbers. It sounds like John will be right in the ballpark with his 8 twist in the Seattle area. If I send some to Montana, the 9 should be fine for most applications. That bullet should put a hurt on just about anything in this country. With a .391 SD, peneration shouldn't be an issue:D....Rich

Last edited:
Thanks Nick.......Ya, I forgot a couple of dimensions. I came in late from taking "my Bride" to a valentines dinner and didn't want to run up to my shop. The jacket was a 1.4" J4 and I haven't gone up to measure thickness yet but I think the nose is approx. .012" and the base around .025"? I truly appreciate your help running the numbers. It sounds like Jon will be right in the ballpark with his 8 twist in the Seattle area. If I send some to Montana, the 9 should be fine for most applications. That bullet should put a hurt on just about anything in this country. With a .391 SD, penetration shouldn't be an issue:D. That beats the .338 300 SMK SD by .16 and the B.C. by a lot more than that!
Sorry! I think I just doubled up on my post.........Rich

Last edited:
Jon A, If you want to get out and test those at longer range, let me know. We could try the gravel pit and get to 628 there, but higher elevation where we've been out to 1200 is likely inaccessible due to several feet of Cascade concrete. Jon

Definitely. Once I get a working load that proves accurate, that'll be the next step. Hopefully it won't be too long before we can get on top. I got myself a locking front diff for Christmas so I get tons of traction now!

That reminds me, I've got good video of you from last time I need to send.

Nice work on the diff! Is that an air locker by chance? You'll leave my explorer even farther behind now...

Yeah, would like to see the vid.

Let me know re shooting.

Thanks Nick.......Ya, I forgot a couple of dimensions. I came in late from taking "my Bride" to a valentines dinner and didn't want to run up to my shop. The jacket was a 1.4" J4 and I haven't gone up to measure thickness yet but I think the nose is approx. .012" and the base around .025"? I truly appreciate your help running the numbers. It sounds like Jon will be right in the ballpark with his 8 twist in the Seattle area. If I send some to Montana, the 9 should be fine for most applications. That bullet should put a hurt on just about anything in this country. With a .391 SD, penetration shouldn't be an issue:D. That beats the .338 300 SMK SD by .16 and the B.C. by a lot more than that!
Sorry! I think I just doubled up on my post.........Rich

Rich,
Yes, i dont think this bullet will have any problems killing just about anything at some stupid distances :D

McDrag calculates the G1 BCs to be;

0.86 @ 2850fps
0.81 @ 1900fps
0.70 @ 1340fps

If you get a new nose forming die, we can get the calculated BC`s upto;

0.99 @ 2850fps
0.92 @ 1900fps
0.77 @ 1340fps

And the stability will get better, not worse. I dont think nose slump will be an issue as the aluminium tip reduces the mass up front, but you never know till you try it i guess...

Be interesting to see how fast you can get these to go...? Might need a different powder to what you normally use?

Jon, What caliber are you pushing these from, 30-378?

300 RUM. I'll be shooting for the 2850 fps range. Does that program have G7 outputs? I think they'd be more useful for this bullet.

Nice work on the diff! Is that an air locker by chance? You'll leave my explorer even farther behind now...
Unfortunately not quite that fancy, it's a Lockright so it's locked 100% of the time in 4X4. That's good in some ways, bad in others.

Yes, i took a fraction off to be conservative and what it ends up like "real world"

Try a G7 BC of 0.42.

I'm estimating .840 b.c. but maybe Groper could chime in on that? He seems to have the program down. I doubt it would be that high at sea level.....Rich

Your 0.84 is gonna be **** close real world, at muzzle velocity only. As the bullet slows down the BC will decrease, so a velocity bracketed G1 system is fair to use. Or simply use the G7 number... it just doesnt sound as good! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.