.30-.378 weatherby magnum throat erosion

You can tell from personal seating depth history how much throat you have lost, but only a borescope will let you actually take a look at the damage.

Run a google search on hawkeye borescopes from gradient lens tech. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A chamber casting or a borescope. Have you got it real hot and then shot 20 more or are you up over 1000 rounds? Why do you ask? I'm guessing if accuracy is dropping off it's time for a major cleaning. I got my 25-06AI real hot in a shooting contest and I had to soak and scrub that thing for almost two weeks. 24 hours at a time with Wipe out and Accelerator and then alternating scrubs with Sweets 7.62, Cr-10, Shooters Choice Copper remover and the gritty Remington bore cleaner before I got it to quit throwing blue patches. I almost wasted a whole can of Wipeout on that one. It now shoots bug holes again. If the accuracy goes south and this is a factory rifle don't forget the Weatherby warranty. If need be they will change a barrel.

I was reading some articles on the internet that says throat erosion starts after 50 rounds. I shoot IMR7828 100 grains and a 180 grain scirocco. My performance was dropping off. A worker at Sportsmans warehouse told me to use wipe out and now it shoots fine again. He also thought I could have some erosion starting or just a fouled up barrel. I've ran about 1000 rounds through the barrel since I bought it two years ago.

Thanks for the replys
Aaron

You will not how much erosion you have now without an original starting point. You can determine where your lands are now and can you reach them with loaded round.

However, erosion starts at round 1 due to the heat. Not sure what magic pixie dust disappears at round 50.

Go to www.sinclairintl.com and look up Sinclair Seating Depth Tool, part # 09-400 at a cost of $28.95.

Easiest to use to determine where the lands are exactly and to monitor erosion.

If you have 1000 rds with that cartridge, go ahead and order another barrel now. You will need it by the time it gets to you.

Carbon ring build up in front of the chamber really destroys accuracy too. Got to use something that cuts that along with copper. Montana Extreme 50 BMG is one of the top 1k BR shooters choices for both carbon and copper.

BH

I do not know how much freebore is in the 30-378.
The 257, 270 & 7mm have 0.375 inches of freebore after measuring the max COL. The 240Wby has 0.250inches.

I don't know if erosion of the lands is the critical issue in a factory chamber Wby or if it would be just general deterioration of all parts of the throat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.