30-378 Weatherby load advice

30-378 Load

I have had good luck with 150 Barnes tsx with Retumbo. Around 117 grains produces 3700+ fps with 150 tsx. I am going to try with 180 tsx in the near future.

finally got out and did some load tests with the new 30-378 wby. Got ahold of a pound of retumbo and some 200gr AB. accuracy is absolute crap, im disappointed to say the least. Waiting for our gun store to get H50BMG in, hoping it will shoot alot better.

cmfi3,
If you have 50 rounds or so down it, take the barreled action out of the stock and see what the aluminum bedding block looks like. You may find it looks like the end of an abused cold chisel. If it does, Make sure you grind it down and bed it (sides tight) before you waste any more powder, bullets, and barrel life. It only makes your stomach upset for a short time when you first start grinding on a rifle that costs that much. In my experience that rifle/round combination absolutely has to be bedded to perform properly. It took me a few pounds of powder to learn this. When mine was an Accumark it worked with 106 gr Retumbo/200AB, or 115 H50BMG/220 SMK. Try not to shoot more than 5 before allowing it to cool as at about 6-7 things start wandering, and if you get it really hot, it will carbon foul like concrete. RL25 was the worst for me in that aspect.
Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.
Shummy

Hi

By buddy and myself are running 3 accumarks at the moment and they are all shooters. 300Roy 30/378 and 338/378.

The 30/378 is shooting 210 Bergers seated to 3.710 with an over max charge using RE25. Federal Mag primer and Norma brass. RE25 has been the best in our 30/378. The 30/378 is the best shooter at this time. Retumbo isnt bad either just a bit slower

Go to Weatherby DK and look for Ridge Riders posts.. we are over 3200fps and get around 5 reloads from a Norma Case. I wont tell you how fast we went before we got a sticky bolt! No point owning a race car and driving it with cyclinder deactivation!

Get the rifle bedded properly our Accumarks responded to this using Devcon and yes there was movement at the rear tang. We also have aftermarket triggers.

Groups are about 1/4 of an inch and I have managed to put 3 in the same hole cluster. doesnt get any better from a factory rifle.. I wish my 300 Roy shot the 210 as tight!

Contact Ridger Rider for his load which is hot but boy does it shoot well!

When the Rum can match Ridge Riders confirmed accuracy and speeds I'd be happy to by a cheaper RUM!

It takes a bit to find the right numbers.. If you PM I can share the load assuming you have a Mk5 accumark or similar with freebore. Once you get that 30/378 on song no other .30 beats it...Absolutely awesome watching the scrub move beside your disc before impact at 600 from the shock wave!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.