30.378 vs 300RUM vs 325 WSM

FSU Seminole

Hi guys this is pretty much my first topic thread here. Sorry if this question has been asked before. I've been hunting for roughly 24 years. Mostly in the south east, my biggest calibur rifle was the 30.06. About 5 years ago Ive been fortunate enough to have a thriving business and I've expanded my hunting to pretty much all over the US.

I plan on making the leap to Alaska first and then Africa. Right now I own a few 300s in 300 win mag and a few WSMs. I'm looking to up the power because I've been invited on a couple of coastal brown bear hunts, elk hunting and like I said my dad and I want to do Africa within the next 3 or 4 years.

So of these bone crushers which do you feel would be the best overall gun for the applications above. I already plan to top what ever I decide to purchase with the new Zeiss 5-25x50 hd scope. You alls feed back on these 3 rounds would be greatly appreciated.

A little more, I like synthetic stock guns. I don't mind muzzle breaks or rifles in this calibur 6.5-7 lbs.

Depends on how far you are wanting to shoot at the game you are going after? If I were going after large bear then I would look at a 338 cal or larger. You can already take pretty much any game in North America with your 300 win mag. I would take a serious look at the 338 win mag if you are keeping it at moderate ranges and 338 RUM or lapua mag if you are wanting to go long.

I know those are not on your list so if I had to choose, I would go 300 RUM and go with the largest bullet that I could get.

Depends on how far you are wanting to shoot at the game you are going after? If I were going after large bear then I would look at a 338 cal or larger. You can already take pretty much any game in North America with your 300 win mag. I would take a serious look at the 338 win mag if you are keeping it at moderate ranges and 338 RUM or lapua mag if you are wanting to go long.

I know those are not on your list so if I had to choose, I would go 300 RUM and go with the largest bullet that I could get.

+1
In addition, the Zeiss 5x might be a little high powered for close bear.

what he said.....

If you have a 300 win you'll only get 10% more payload on target with a 300 rum and it'll put the same diameter hole in the target to boot. I like the 300 rum and that may be another rifle for you to buy, but it really isn't that different than the win. Since you already have a 300 win and presumably can shoot it without getting scrambled it's time to step up to a 338 of some sort or a 375h@h. If you want to put a hole in anything in Africa approaching box-car size I'd get a 416 rem, but a 375 should do for most else.

I echo above posts.The 325wsm isnt even in the same class.Mine looks like a pee shooter next to my 340 WBY,that Ive used for 30 years.I love my 338 norma or a lapua would be nice.The 340 wby is still a great performer

If your man enough to handle it, get a 338-378 Roy and put anything and everything you desire to bed.

The 300 rum is a powerhouse...one of my favorites to drop huge Louisiana wild boar pigs(which are some of the tuffest game)....but if u have a 300 winny, its time to step up to the 338's. Rather its the edge or a 338 rum, both will handle almost anything u throw at them. I am building an edge, but after a little reading I would suggest the rum. Factory stamped brass(u mentioned going to Africa), and you can **** near get the same velocity from a rum that u could get from an edge just by running a long, 30-32" barrel, if the edge if running a shorter 27-28".

I bet the 338 rum or 338 edge will fill the bill:cool:

I like the .338 responses. They put you in a whole new legue. one thing to remember about Africa (or so I've been told) is that PH's hate brakes.

I would go for a .338 RUM/Lapua and keep it around 12-13 lbs loaded, so that if need be in Africa, you could just pull the brake off (of course with a cap) and still manage recoil. I feel that the .338's are the caliber for Alaska/Northern Canada.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.