30-378 Lead Free Load Suggestions: 180 gr E-Tip / 200 gr TTSX

TX mountain hunter

I had this posted in another section a while back, but am hoping to get some more responses here, as this is probably the better section to post in.

I just got a 30-378 and am trying to find the right load. Unfortunately, I'm in a state full of liberals that have banned the use of lead, so my options are rather limited. I'm curious if anyone has any load information on the following.

Looking at the B.C.'s, I've narrowed it down to the Barnes 200 Grain Tipped Triple Sock (TTSX) and the Nosler 180 grain E-Tip. The powder I currently have to work with is Retumbo, but if anytone has a load with something better that is getting excellent groups, I would be willing to try it out. I'm looking at picking up some RL25 and some H50BMG to test as well.

I'm new to reloading (have some friends that have done it a while), and would like all the advice I can get here. I have the Leupold CDS scope with the dial system so would like to find the most accurate load for the gun prior to getting a new dial. I'm looking for something with consistant groupings and limited fps variance. If I get two loads are similar, then I will look at drop and energy.

My rifle is 26" to where the break starts, with a 1 and 10" twist.

Thanks in advance! gun)

i found the 30-378 does not like rl-22 with 180 tipped barnes, loud bang, big kick and no velocity, the 180s with 122 grans of h50 bmg was great, smooth, around 3300 fps with 28 inch barrel, floored a bull elk at 550 yards all with fed 215 m primers, i just started messin around with reloader 25 today so not quite sure about that the 122 grain load is a max load from barnes -3 that is the load i use for hunting elk, sorry i dont have any load data for retumbo or for the bullets you asked for.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.