30-378 & 200 gr Barnes LRX enough for Brown Bear?

TX mountain hunter

I just found out I will be going on a guided trip to Alaska for bear next fall. I assume the guide will have a backup rifle in the 460 range, so I was thinking of taking my 30-378 loaded with 200 grain Barnes LRX. My favorite hunting load is pushing about 3200 fps.

I'm just curious if anyone thinks this load will be sufficient. Should I try and borrow a larger caliber? Should I try out the 230 grain Berger OTMs?

Barnes TSX, LRX, TTSX

Northfork

Swift Aframe

all of the above are kickass bullets.

Certainly the 30 cal bullet from the 378 case will kill big bears. Better ask your guide/outfitter about your choice though. He may laugh or cuss you and tell you to bring something bigger. He could also tell you that your rifle will be just fine.

I'd prefer a min of .338 diameter myself and lean more to the .375.

Talk to your guide. It's up to them in the end what they will or won't allow you to use.

If you set yourself a range limit of 600yds you should have more than enough power to get the job done with the right bullet. Several good choices are mentioned above. You might however consider moving up to the 210-230gr range and seeing if your rifle will shoot them well.

Penetrating power is essential with those big Bruins, but of course you still have to place the shot well so accuracy is just as essential.

That combo will be more then enough for any bear on the planet as long as your up to the job. Most guides will tell you what they recommend and most will tell you a rifle that you shoot very well so you make a good first shot placement. That is much more important then the amount of power your packing.

If you make a good first shot, there is less chance the guide will have to go into the bush after a wounded, ****ed off bear!!!

Most guides will want at least a 30 cal and usually a magnum version. Some require larger calibers so I would just contact your guide and see what he has to say.

Thanks for all of the immediate feedback guys. I will stick with the 200 LRX at this point and check and see what the guide is comfortable with. I would much rather pack my own rifle that borrow someones I'm not comfortable with.

Good topic for discussion here. I (as other have already stated) believe your combo will work well for your intent, I would believe (i'm no Bear guru) that the big 30's would be the lower end of the acceptable caliber range. Your WBY definitely has the velocity & the Barnes has the integrity to smash & break any obstacle a Brown bear can throw at it. My only concern would be in the possibility of a charge where a 30 cal might not be favorable anymore. Charges, although not a guarantee seem to happen (at least you hear more about them:D).

The advise to consult your guide is spot on, they are the "been there done that" crowd whose advise should be heeded more than all others. I all actuality, you should be good to go & I will be somewhat surprised if your guide thinks otherwise.

Make sure you author a nice "tell all" for Len to post here, you know us hunting junkies love to read bear stories:D

Thanks for all of the immediate feedback guys. I will stick with the 200 LRX at this point and check and see what the guide is comfortable with. I would much rather pack my own rifle that borrow someones I'm not comfortable with.
Many years ago I had a friend in AK that guided for bear hunts. He said point blank he'd rather have someone shooting a 7mm mag, with 180gr partitiaons that they were comfortable with and confident in, that the same guy bringing a borrowed .375 or other larger caliber.

He like most of us here agreed that being able to place that first cold bore shot where you want it is the most important part of the whole equation.

The difference with the big brown bears and most of the other things we hunt is that if you wound one, he's very likely to come straight after you and kill you if he can, so the most powerful weapon at your disposal that you are confident in and competant with, is certainly always a good idea.

At 400yds or closer though with your combo I sure wouldn't hesitate.

Those fellas in the LR videos are killing grizz with the 7mag and either 168 or180 VLDs.

My biggest rifle in the safe is my 300 RUM. If I were to go on a big bear hunt now that's the rifle I'd take and I'd load a minimum of 200 grain bullet at the fastest velocity I could push it to so long as accuracy was acceptable to 300 yards. That's my personal limit or close to it with my lack of knowledge on big bears

Having been on the "guide" side of the fence, I can tell you that whatever you're holding when you're face to face with a big boar grizz at 10 feet, feels like a pea shooter. The most important thing is that you use a rifle that you're intimately familiar with, can use with precision and accuracy, and that you can get into action quickly with. The guide will most likely have a rifle capable of stopping a big bear, so your focus should be on placing the kill shot precisely where it needs to go. Like many other animals, the physiology of bears is such that the 1st shot is by far the most important in determining the bear's reaction, and how the rest of the situation plays out. Make the first one count with any adequately powerful rifle, and the bear will be down in short order. If he happens to run in the wrong direction before falling dead (that being toward you!), that's when the guide proves that he's worth his salt. ;)

I've been to Alaska hunting and fishing over the years. My aunts boyfriend has guide services and he carries a little 300 weatherby mag. It is his only gun other than his 45 long Colt side arm.

I only owned a .458 Win mag and the big 510 soft points were over kill on bear and moose. I used a custom 26 inch .270 on Dall sheep and Carabou. My packing pistol is 1911 45

A 30-378 should be just fine since I killed one with a pointed stick (arrow). gun)------------------

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.