30-338 Win. Powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Utah Shotgunner, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Utah Shotgunner

Utah Shotgunner Well-Known Member

I am putting an old target rifle back to work. Built in '73-'75 with a Hart barrel, Timney trigger on an -03 action.

Chambered in 30-338 the seller reports that it was most accurate with 4350 and 190gr SMK's.

I have some 190's and some old DuPont 4350 that I will start with but I was wondering if there might be some 'better' powders to work with now? A friend suggested Reloader 22 and Reloader 25? I have never used either of these powders.

I also have some 200gr SMK's and some Berger 210gr VLD's.

Does anyone have a powder they like with this bullet weight that meters well and provides high loading density?

Thanks,

Mike

Excuse the couch. Pictures were emailed to me.

[​IMG]

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

If you had some US 869 on hand it would be interesting to see how it works with the heavier bullets.

Just a suggestion for experimentation. I'm betting pressures would be lower than the 4350 class powders.

RL-25 with the heavier bullets would probably be a good get also.

HTH

I kinda like the couch. Makes the rifle stand out!

3. Utah Shotgunner

Utah Shotgunner Well-Known Member

Thanks Roy. On another BBS Reloader 22 was suggested so it sounds like I'll need to look at each of these closely. I will be picking it up next week along with an XP 100 in 7mmBR.

Once I get this rifle dialed in I'll need to find a place to stretch its legs. I live in the SLC area. Know anywhere to with some distance in your neck of the woods? Work takes me to the Soda Springs area a few times a year.

Is US 869 readily available?

4. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

Utah,
    I would lean towards RL-22 or even one of the 4831's for the 190's. If you know someone that shoot's the VV powders to get some to try (it is only available in 2# cans $40.00+) maybe N160 or N165.
    The bore to case capacity I think would not be conducive for the use of US896 unless you shoot the real heavies. I think RL-25 may then be inplay too. Don't leave out H-1000 from consistancy point either if you can get some that guy that has VV's powders.

5. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

VV N560 has worked well for me in my 30-338 Win. About 3035 fps with Swift 180g A-frame.