30/06 Springfield

Hard Head

It has been a while sense I did a post,a lot has gone on! Anyway...i bought a Remington 700 ,ADL white Tail with wood,completely redid the stock ,comb is gone crap checkering is gone added a floor plate and Mesquite for end and grip cap,glassed and floated 16 coats of tung oil and it is the most accurate cartridge and rifle I have ever owned,Now remember ,this is with 70+year old eyes, I had a lot of Reloader 26 left from my 7mm mag I traded for this so used it along with Winchester primers ,Remington brass and 168 A Max. I played with loads and length of cartridge,seated in the lands 3.485 "o.l. ,65.5 grains of R26 and Large Winchester rifle primer gives me 2980 fps, but it does it all the time in 3 shot groups of .185 to .275 center to center @ 100 yds. cold or hot barrel,dirty barrel squeaky clean or fouling left from the day before.I have never had a rifle do this for me ,especially a factory one,oh yes I did put a Timney trigger on it. I am on the 12th time of loading with this bras,can not explain,but the darn thing really shoots!!Pete

You are very lucky to have a gun like that . I hope the situation continues with other batches of bullets . I have a 308 Sako that is similar to yours it shoots about the same all the time . However I have another gun that changes POI and group size every time I use it . I think it's bad bedding in a bad stock but I am not worried because I don't use it much . Might fix it one day .

I have a BDL that does the same thing.57 grains IMR 4350 shooting 165 gr Sierra BT .Never changes point of impact

It has been a while sense I did a post,a lot has gone on! Anyway...i bought a Remington 700 ,ADL white Tail with wood,completely redid the stock ,comb is gone crap checkering is gone added a floor plate and Mesquite for end and grip cap,glassed and floated 16 coats of tung oil and it is the most accurate cartridge and rifle I have ever owned,Now remember ,this is with 70+year old eyes, I had a lot of Reloader 26 left from my 7mm mag I traded for this so used it along with Winchester primers ,Remington brass and 168 A Max. I played with loads and length of cartridge,seated in the lands 3.485 "o.l. ,65.5 grains of R26 and Large Winchester rifle primer gives me 2980 fps, but it does it all the time in 3 shot groups of .185 to .275 center to center @ 100 yds. cold or hot barrel,dirty barrel squeaky clean or fouling left from the day before.I have never had a rifle do this for me ,especially a factory one,oh yes I did put a Timney trigger on it. I am on the 12th time of loading with this bras,can not explain,but the darn thing really shoots!!Pete

My .30-06 AI loves the slow magnum powders as well. It shoots awesome with IMR 7828 SSC and a Berger 185 VLD. That's another good one to try. I started using it during the powder drought of 2012-2015, and found it to be one of the most diverse powders on my bench. I use it for anything from my .25-06 AI to my .300 Ackley. I also have some IMR 7977 to try. According to the burn chart 7977 is almost identical to H1000, which I also had temp stability issues with, so I stopped using. I am hoping for better performance with the 7977 and better temp stability.

Hard Head,where did you come up with this load of RL26,I contacted the powder company and they have no recommendations for the 30-06 using rl26 thanks Jim

I picked up an old Winchester 670 in 30-06 for the action and got to playing with it and with a few tweaks this sucker shoots! 3 shots most of the time all the bullet holes touch so I got a prettier stock as the birch was ugly! sometimes a guy just lucks out but looks like I'll be looking for another action to build a 280AI on in the future as this Winchester ain't coming apart shooting like it does. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.