.30/06 - Long range ballistics?

JAMMAN

Hi guys,

I know I saw something, but can't dredge it up. The .308 is the quintessential round, but if the .30 cal bullet performs so well in that situation, how does the .30/06 perform? I know it's so popular in short range, but how is it going to work from 300yds out?

I currently shoot a .270 so the .30/06 doesn't scare me. I also have the old .300savage and we won't mention that silly 30/30. Point is, the kick of the "ought" won't scare me. If it is ballistically superior to the .308 I'd love to know, as I'd use that for my long range gun and be good for so many situations.

Please, let me have it guys!

In comparable barrels, the '06 will be faster then the 308 by up to 150fps for all bullet weights. You would have to use equal chamber pressures as well.

However, many older rifles with rough bores will not allow that high a velocity without excessive pressures.

If using standard SAAMI spec loads, both are pretty much the same.

The 308 is very popular due to its roots in the military. It is not a ballistically superior rd when compared to the 6mm to 7mm options today.

Jerry

Well prior to the adoption of the 7.62x51 (which was a mistake in my bood as the .280 British was a far better Infantry round) the 30-06 was a sniper rifle round as well as everything else it is. It also usd to be present in long range rifle matches. Certainly its not as efficient as the 308 win. or as fast as the 300wm. but i have a soft spot for the 06. it is my long range caliber of choice.. and ive treid everything else exept the 6.5-284(which is shortly going to be treid out, but am i getting rid of the 06..? no..) Ive found it to be a good long range deer round, capable of good accuracy and having enough power. I generaly use 180 grain bullets, just a tad under 2900FPS.. the 165s go 2940 ish.
The real beauty is that the 06 just works, its not at the forefromt of technology or efficient balistics with stubby fat cases, but you can get ammo for a 30-06 rifle any where in the world almost, and if you know how to use it, it is a very effective long range round.
Pete

Superiority is a VERY subjective term. If you want more power the 30-06 is slightly superior than the 308. What makes the 308 more superior than the 06 is pure and simple accuracy and barrel life. The accuracy of the 308 may be many more times greater than the 06 yet it is only a minor amount slower. This coupled with LONG barrel life so you can acctually get married to your rifle is what makes the 308 so popular among long range shooters. The 06 simply cannot do what the 308 can at 600 800 and 1000 yards when it comes to precicion accuracy. There are exceptions to every rule but as a general rule 308's shoot tighter, longer.

You have to go with what makes you happy. If its an extra 100 FPS then go with the -06, it will be "superior" to you. If extreeme accuracy is what will make you happy, the the 308 would be superior to you. Go with what will make you most confident. Both will do the job well. Each has desirable qualities.

meichele,

Your post is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, but was not articulating for myself.

I actually don't want the standard '06 like everyone else has, but if it were that much more powerful or a better all around choice, I'd just choke it down.

I knew the .308 was considered highly accurate, but didn't know how the '06 and the .308 compared to each other. I love the long life possibility of the .308, plus the lesser recoil. I do NOT need another 100fps, as I'm not a speed hog.

Also, I am wanting to shoot at 600, and 800yds down the line.

The only real reason I really was throwing the '06 back in the mix was whether it was needed for hunting, but for deer I see no reason why the .308 won't make it happen for me with my medium weight deer.

Thanks for reading my mind and giving me what I needed to know.

I'm ordering my gun now, even though it's not a fantastic setup, it gets me started and lets me have some fun. It'll be a Stevens 200 in .308. Will likely put a Bushnell 3200 on it so I have a starter with a MilDot.

Thanks

It sounds like that will get you started in the right direction. The 308 is a very capable 600 yard deer round. Accubonds and AMAX's will both do well on deer to 600 yards and AMAX's as well as other match bullets will do well on paper all the way to 1K. Good luck and have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.