.30-06 Load for 500yrd

Musket_0

I am looking to learn how to work up a load for my -06, and not so sure where to start. I am shooting 5 shot- 1" groups with 168gr serra bt's, 61gr of powder, at 200yrds. Assuming that this could get better with practice, where do I go from here? My barrel has a 1-10 twist, and using 1st load cases. (Have not had the chance to try these at 500 yrds yet.
Jeff

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but a 1" 5 shot group at 200 yards from an -06 is not too bad. This should, and I say "should" cause you just never know, but that ought to get you around 2.5" at 500 yards as it is.

If you want to try and improve, depending on what kind of powder you are using, try adding and deducting .5 of a grain of powder to start. If that doesnt help, go another .5 grain, assuming you have no preasure problems. Also try adjusting the seating depth. You might even try that first. If you are already close to max preasure, be carfull not to get the bullet too close to the riflings so as to not drive up the preasure to an unsafe amount. If you are nearing max, deduct a couple grains, load em long and then work up in .5 grain increments. Also watch to make sure youre not exceeding the magazine length.

Hope that helps some.

PS try them at 500 yards before you do anything, you just might be happy with it!

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]

That does help. As for Mag length, can not go to much more if any, and yes I think I am at limit for powder. Guess I was thinking this was not the greatest group as I am just starting into LR, and I built this from an old Jap 7.7,
Been wanting to try long range for some time. Just never had the tool to learn how.
Jeff

Congrats, that is excellent shooting. Anytime you can shoot 1/2MOA consistently at LR, you are doing very well. I mean avg. group size, not best group in a bunch of shooting as most people use.

Now try for further distance. You might find that vertical stringing starts to rear its ugly head. I have found match primers and quality extruded powders to help a lot. I use CCI BR2 and H4350Extreme in my '06. For bullets, I am sold on the Hornady SST's and the Interbonds. May or may not work better in your rifle. They shoot sub 1/2 MOA in my rifles.

When sizing brass, I use the Lee Collet die and I find that it helps reduce runout induced during sizing. Again this really helps keep groups consistent.

I think you have a very nice rig. Just go out and burn powder. You will quickly find that judging conditions will have a much greater impact then all the minor accuracy tweaks put together.

Jerry

What powder are you using?

+1 with Okie2.
Id like to start loading for my 30-06 soon. Any data helps as a referance or starting point.
Ive about got my 270wsm dialed. The 300 wby is giving me fits, and I think I need to get my confidence back up, so the 30-06 seems like a good option for boosting confidence while tinkering with 30 cal bullets.

I am looking to learn how to work up a load for my -06, and not so sure where to start. I am shooting 5 shot- 1" groups with 168gr serra bt's, 61gr of powder, at 200yrds. Assuming that this could get better with practice, where do I go from here? My barrel has a 1-10 twist, and using 1st load cases. (Have not had the chance to try these at 500 yrds yet.
Jeff

Good grief Charlie Brown, what do you think you should be getting? :D

Those are just fine out of a repeater hunting rifle. They are definitely minute of deer at 500 yards if they hold up, and they certainly should. Go shoot some at 500 and find out how you do. If my -06 did that, I'd figure load development was over, make sure to get my license renewed, make sure I had plenty of freezer space, and wait impatiently for deer season to get here.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.