30-06 for long range

scattershot38

I'm sure this has been covered 1000 times but i'm to lazy to search all the forums. Whats wrong with shooting a 30-06 for getting into along range shooting. I have a tikka M658 with a Nikon 3x9x40 bdc scope but i also have a marlin heavy barrel 26in i believe with a redfield evolution which would be a better starting rig. Also a 243 with pentax 4x12x50 and a old remington 760 pump in 270 that needs a new scope. would any of these work for a good starting rig. keep in mind i know nothing of long range shooting the longest shot i have made is 200 yards and that was at the range. when i say long range i mean 500-800 yards. also what books or videos would be useful.

There is more info on this forum about long range shooting than anyone can ever read. I just read the in's and out's and about the fundamentals of everything about shooting here. I would suggest loading your own ammo if you don't already. consistence is the key to LRS.

I have shot a 30-06 out to 750 yards and it did really well. This was thru a 700 bolt gun. Its a factory rifle with a trigger job and a 3x9 Super Sniper. The rifle is nothing fancy. I load a 168gr Berger for it. the bigger faster rounds make LRS a little easier with the heavy bullets and hold more energy for when it hits the targets.

Also start at 100 and work your way out slowly. practice, practice,practice then practice more.

Put the Pentax on the Tikka and start sending bullets. You can play with the 06 as far as you want and hunt to 800ish depending on the bullet you use.

Hand loading will help alot. Have fun.

Steve

I'm no expert, but maybe just a few steps further down the same road.

In the past three years I have gotten into LR shooting and hunting. Prior to that I had killed countless white tails at 200 yds and less. 90% less than 150 yds. When I started thinking about Long Range I had to do it on a budget. So, I got my Grand Dads Ruger M77 30-06 and I put a Bushnell Trophy 3x9-40 with a mil dot reticle.

Then I got set up to hand load. On the hand loading, I found a friend that was also hand loading a 30-06 for long range hunting and i just followed his lead.

From my observations of his loads and shooting and my own, I think that Berger VLDs are great. They have excellent Ballistic Coefficiants and they are a hollow point that is designed to penetrate before shrapnelling in the vital zone. My buddy shoots the 210 grain berger VLD and I shoot the 185 gr VLD. These are heavier than what most would choose for a 30-06. But they get longer with more weight and therefore fly more stable, helping accuracy. Also, the heavier the bullet the less that it is affected by wind drift, which is the greates unknown in a hunting situation. For hunting, the heavier bullet retain more energy at longer ranges as well.

My buddy has 14x leupold scope his Winchester model 70 has slightly longer barrell than my ruger. With his longer barrell he can get a faster muzzle velocity than I could get both shooting the same load (210 berger). I ultimately went with the 185 Berger over the 210 berger, for two reasons.

With my 9 power scope, I don't feel good about shooting at game much over 500 yds, My buddy can see things very well at 800 yds with his 14 X scope. Also, since My shorter barrel produces a slower muzzle velocity and because I was not planning to shoot over 500yds, I decided that the 185 would allow me to increase my muzzle velocity and give me the most knock down (Ft lbs) at 400 - 500 yds.

Some might think that these heavy bullets drop too much, however, the second most important tool for long range hunting after the rifle is your range finder. With a good range finder with angle compensation, you will know what yardage your target is at. Then you just adjust the elevation on your scope for that shot, adjust or hold for wind and squeeze the trigger.

I hope this helps.

so u r saying the pentax is a better scope than than the nikon prostaff?
Better for this purpose since it has higher magnification and arguably a bit better glass.

The 06 will certainly get you out to 800yds with enoug energy to kill deer and shoot rocks and targets.

The more important issue is how does it shoot?

If you are a sub MOA shooter and the rifle shoots sub MOA at 100yds you can probably do well with it at these ranges with the right load.

I'd start with a basic accurizing, pillars, floating, bedding etc and go from there.

Nothing wrong with the 30-06 it is one of the finest cartridges ever made. It has taken more game worldwide than any other cartridge .
I am currently dropping back from a magnum to a 30-06 IMP .
I want something now that I can fire more shots and enjoy it more without the brain jaring recoil . The gun will be heavy and with 30-06 it will feel like shooting a 243 . A 700 yard range capability is plenty for me as most shots are way closer anyway . Once I get a better scope for the gun I can stretch the range past 500
Townsend Whelen siad . " The 30-06 is never a mistake "

Nothing wrong with the 30-06 it is one of the finest cartridges ever made. It has taken more game worldwide than any other cartridge .
I am currently dropping back from a magnum to a 30-06 IMP .
I want something now that I can fire more shots and enjoy it more without the brain jaring recoil . The gun will be heavy and with 30-06 it will feel like shooting a 243 . A 700 yard range capability is plenty for me as most shots are way closer anyway . Once I get a better scope for the gun I can stretch the range past 500
Townsend Whelen siad . " The 30-06 is never a mistake "
I dunno, it would be a very close race between the 06, .303 Brit, and 6.5 Mauser for "most game killed world wide" I'd think with the .30's both having a slight advantage. If the British Empire hadn't come apart following WWII I think the .303 might still have that crown unchallenged.

But like you quoted, the 06 is never a mistake.

I dunno, it would be a very close race between the 06, .303 Brit, and 6.5 Mauser for "most game killed world wide" I'd think with the .30's both having a slight advantage. If the British Empire hadn't come apart following WWII I think the .303 might still have that crown unchallenged.

But like you quoted, the 06 is never a mistake.

Rubbish the 303 is not even close at taking the African game that the 30-06 has .

When the British were trying to Colonise Africa they were shooting Martini Henrys not SMLE 303's . The people that did most of the hunting were Dutch and German settlers , Boers . They used Mausers . However during the second world war German ammo become unavailable so many Mausers were converted to 30-06 as US ammo was available . That is just one story in one place but the 30-06 has been popular in many countries .

Chuck Hawkes said , " 30-06 Springfield - In sales, this is the most popular hunting cartridge in North America, and it is one of the elite worldwide cartridges. Many experts regard it as the best all-around hunting cartridge in the world. The .30-06 is in use on every continent where big game is hunted " .

Is he wrong also?
The 308 W may have bigger sales now but that is just because it is the current Military cartridge . However the 30-06 has been around longer and taken more game than the 308W around the world.

the 30-06 is an excellent long range round. sell the marlin and the pump. go to riflemanjournal; German wins regularly with a 30-06. remington action krieger barrel, iron sights.

When the British were trying to Colonise Africa they were shooting Martini Henrys not SMLE 303's . The people that did most of the hunting were Dutch and German settlers , Boers .
The .303 went everywhere the brits went for over 70 years as their standard cartridge, and had over a decade of use prior to the development of the 06.

They used Mausers . However during the second world war German ammo become unavailable so many Mausers were converted to 30-06 as US ammo was available . That is just one story in one place but the 30-06 has been popular in many countries .
Nobody said the 06 hasnt' been popular in many countries.

Chuck Hawkes said , " 30-06 Springfield - In sales, this is the most popular hunting cartridge in North America, and it is one of the elite worldwide cartridges. Many experts regard it as the best all-around hunting cartridge in the world. The .30-06 is in use on every continent where big game is hunted.

Is he wrong also?
Why would I argue he's wrong when I have stated the same thing many times. He doesn't make the claim however that it's taken more game in Africa than any other cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.