30 06 For Long Range Hunting, Or Not

I am a hunter and I read with great interest the information posted here on long range hunting. I shoot a 30-06 and I have limited experience out too 500 yards. I would like to hear from experienced shooters about the capability of the 30-06 to even greater distances and recommended rifle scope for such shooting. Thanks in advance.

the 30-06 is a very capable round. i love it. the rifle is more important than the caliber in shooting precision. what rifle ? i can tell you from experience i loaded and fired close to 2500 rounds one year.

I know this is probably a fairly old thread and has likely long sense been dead but it came up fairly quickly in my google search and thought I might add a few helpful links for those who run across it after me in search of guidance regarding this inaccurate old mans cartridge :) I hope I see a resurgence in it personally!

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: Accuracy Secrets of the .30-06 - Part 1

The Rifleman's Journal: Cartridges: The Logical .30-06

the rifles they use are not 400 sporters with a 17$ barrel. the 30-06 is an awesome round.

If you notice German does not try to make the 30-06 into something its not. If you need 300 win mag then put the 06. Up and get a win mag. My 1000 yard loads are loaded to common 30-06 velocities and as I know its not hunting. I shoot 1000yards with a lot of people using a lot of different cartridges on steel and NEVER have I thought I was handicapped with the 30-06...

RMULHERN has a 30-06 i am envious of too. Built right and loaded and shot by a knowledgeable rifleman.

Pondskipper I tried to open your links but it would not allow me to view the page it said one had to be invited.

I began my long range hunting with the 308 and 30-06 and consider them comparable as far as effectiveness on game. For deer sized game I kept my shots under 600 yards and used 165 gr SST's and Ballistic Tips, both giving good expansion at this max range. I loaded at 2800FPS. I ended up keeping my shots under 600 yards with both calibers. This was quite a while ago and perhaps there are better bullets available today, but the heavier bullets and VLD's I tried usually pinholed through game and IMO lacked in killing power at the longer distances. Back then I used a Leopold MK4 4.5x14x50.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.