30-06 factory ammunition for mule deer???

mlip

I am planning a New Mexico mule deer hunt this fall and am looking for advice on factory ammunition for my Remington 700, 30-06.

Has anyone used Hornady SST or Interlock in either Lite Magnum or "regular" loads?

I'm guessing my maximum range with be 300 yards.

Back in the day before I reloaded for my 30-06 I shot many mulies with factory remington core-lokt's in 150 grain. For a time proven design they work great, I never lost one deer using them. I just recently started reloading 165sst's and from what I have seen using them so far they are also a great choice for big deer. Federal fusions also work very well. I think most factory hunting loads from 150 to 180 will work just fine. If you do not know already go to midwayusa.com and look at the reviews some people leave on the bullets they use. It does not take a premium bullet to take down a deer.

Good luck

Hello and welcome to the Long range hunting community! I always preferred the 165 grain class bullet for the old 06 but it really doesn't make much difference if you are going to shoot to 300 only. What you will want to do is get a couple boxes of ammo and shoot them. See what your rifle likes best and stick with it. A well placed 150 grain bullet will do a better job than a poorly placed 200 grain bullet. I never did have luck with the interbonds by hornady. I am a Nosler fan, but every rifle has it's own "taste". Good luck with the hunt, Mark.

mlip

You're getting good advice. I'd give it a good ear.

Also welcome aboard, where in NM are you going to be?

countryrebel,

What part of the great state of Idaho are ya located?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.