30-06 Bullet selection advise

cmorsch

Im getting ready to start my load development for a elk hunt Im going on in October and would like some opinions on my bullet selection options. Ive been told to be prepared to shoot to 600-700 yards if Im comfortable shooting at those distances. My current train of though is to use the Barnes LRX, or the Nosler Accubond LR if I can get ahold of them, but a guy I shoot with said I should just use the 208 Amax that I target shoot with. Are the amaxs worth considering or should I look at just the barnes or nosler? Please feel free to suggest any other bullets you would use, Im going to stay at 175gr or higher for a better BC. Thanks for the help.

If you are considering those ranges, you need good accuracy. I think you only need something to shoot 1 moa for elk at that range, but I prefer 1/2 moa to eliminate as much error as possible. I suggest you try the AMAX to see how it shoots. I have used them with good success in lighter weights, but nothing over 200 yards and on deer they worked fine. Others to consider are Berger hunting bullets, Accubonds, and SMK. I have had good performance from the first two on deer to 486 yards. I have shot deer with the SMK's at 736, 745, and 1003 yards. Last elk I shot was at 60 yards with a Barnes bullet. I have not used the 3006, but used 308, 7mm WSM, and 338 Lapua. Good luck!

I loaded some 165 Nosler Accubonds in a .308 Win for a buddy of mine. He seems to really like them.

Another buddy of mine likes the Hornady 172 A-Max for his 300 WM.

I have my 3006 set up with 180 nosler accubonds and the rifle loves them. At my 300 yard zero it shoots 1.25" -1.5" groups. I have not shot it further but at 100 it is shooting .35. If I step it up 2 grs more powder it still shoots .65.

Give the Noslers a try if you want. They seem to be the go to 30 caliber bullet for most 308 and 3006's.

Im getting ready to start my load development for a elk hunt Im going on in October and would like some opinions on my bullet selection options. Ive been told to be prepared to shoot to 600-700 yards if Im comfortable shooting at those distances. My current train of though is to use the Barnes LRX, or the Nosler Accubond LR if I can get ahold of them, but a guy I shoot with said I should just use the 208 Amax that I target shoot with. Are the amaxs worth considering or should I look at just the barnes or nosler? Please feel free to suggest any other bullets you would use, Im going to stay at 175gr or higher for a better BC. Thanks for the help.

700 yards is right at the upper end with the 06. Right now the load I shoot is the 190gr Berger VLD with a velocity of 1804 fps and 1373 ft-lb of energy at 700 yards using H4831. Very accurate and temp stable. Took a elk last season with this load at 489 yards . The elk went down where it stood.

Just got another order of 190gr Bergers and am going to start testing with Reloader 17 for the upcoming season.

I have used the 200gr Accubond in the 06 and took a nice buck at 465 and a bull at about the same distance as he would not hold still three seasons ago and they performed great. The 200gr Accubond and the 190gr Berger's are quite close with the Accubond holding a slight edge in terminal performance (from watching the animal go down and wound channel) and the Berger being slightly more accurate.

I also want to test the Accubond LR in the 190gr and when they come out starting with Reloader 17 but for this coming season will stick with the Bergers.

I don't have any experience with any of the other bullets you mention using the 06.

If you choose the 208 A-Max I hope you have the inventory needed. I Have not been able to find ONE box since the panic started. I check every couple of days with the big on-line boys to no avail.

Anyway, no faster than the 30-06 would start this bullet & since you are talking about a heavy Amax, I think it would do the trick at long range, just as the heavy for caliber Bergers work at long range. I think I would be more careful up close on Elk though.

Read te 100 yard vs the 1000 yard penetration test. Amazing the the VLD just exploded at the 100 yard velocity with a mere 24% weight retention, but I'm not sure the Barnes would do enough damage in some instances. They do penetrate like mad for the armor plates on pigs.

Lab Tests | Barnes Bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.