3 spikes down!!!

remingtonman_25_06

Im back home taking a shower, or break from elk camp. ITs been pouring every day but we have managed to kill 3 spikes. Saturday a guy shot 450 yards, 300 win mag 180g bips. Dropped dead in his tracks. I loaded those shells fo him couple years ago and he killed his big bull last yer at 740 yards with the 180g btips. My uncle and I killed our spikes yesterday. 310-320 yards, my uncle using a 300 win mag 180g gamekings, I'm using 7 RM 175g gamekings. Sorry no pics this year of any of them. Mine and my uncles was shot down in the canyon and we only took the necessities if you know what I mean. Considering the weather it wasn't that bad. The wind was blwoing 40 mph and raining like a dirty dog. I was completely soaked to the bone because I left my rain gear at home. We had a nice 25-30 herd spotted and knew there was 2 spikes so we waited on top of the ridge. After about an hour of waiting, and freezing, the lead cow finally started to feed on the opposite ridge. It was very hard picking out a spike with the wind blowing that hard and rain beating on your scope and face, let me tell you. I missed my first shot, then connected in the lungs on the 2nd. He ran up with the cows and I put another high and towards his neck which sent him tumbling down the canyon. My uncle also dropped his with a high shoulder shot. We packed them out today, I'm a sore sucker!! Its all very worth it though. Just wished I woulda brought my camera for pics, but given the circumstances, I had to hunt very light. Anyways, just thought I would share the stories so far. Still have 4 days of hunting left.

Good job, what unit were you in? I was up in the Chesneimus(sp) unit this spring and I have never seen so many elk in one weekend in my life. wish I could get a tag there some day.

We are hunting Mt Emily, or tollgate. Had to draw for the tag this year! Even though the weather hasn't been the best, I have seen plenty of elk every day. I saw at least 100 head of elk this morning. Have seen a monster bull on 2 occasions now. Probly sittin in the 350" range. If I had a big bull tag, I woulda been on him in a hurry!

dont that just make ya twitch when you have a spike only tag and a big boy walks out and looks at ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congratulations -25 06.

Getting an elk can out around here can be a real chore, but I've yet to encounter anything like this... A friend sent me these pics - I don't know who it is, but thought I'd share. The story is it ran off the cliff after it was shot. They came back the next day extra hands and climbing gear...

elk1.jpg

elk3.jpg

elk4.jpg

elk5.jpg

No draw tags for me this year; I'm hunting the general season coastal hunt (with the hoards) - It starts this Saturday.
I'll welcome the rains if it keeps some of the casual hunters at home.

TAC

Well I just got back from the mountain. We had a prety good year. We ended up getting 7 spikes and a little 4 point raghorn. Pretty much identical to last years hunt as we got 7 spikes and a nice 5 last year. I was just happy to get my elk once again. I"ve been pretty lucky, but I hunt my *** off in those canyons everyday. Persistence pays off in elk hunting. I got a pic of the 7 spike heads and everybody who shot them. I'll get the pic on here sometime later tonight or tomorrow. I"m dog tired, been packing elk out of the canyon all week long. Its all worth it though. The time spent in the mountians with friends and family is second to none.

BTW- I never seen anything like that gettin an elk out. That looks like mountain goat and sheep country!!!

Heres the pic I promised of all us and our spike bulls. I'll tell the names from left to right, the cartridge used and estimate yardage. I'll do my best to remember everything correctly. Nick 7mm 550 yards, Derek 300 Win 200 yards, My cousin Brad 30-06 BAR 100 yards, Me 7mm 310 yards, Larry, which is Nicks dad, 30-06 BAR w/boss 300 yards, My uncle Bob 300 Win 310 yards, Gordon (dereks uncle) 300 Win 500 yards. Not to bad of a year I'll do say. Hope ya'll enjoy the pic as much as I will! BTW, the shed horn my uncle is holding is a little 5 point that I found on the ridge while packing 1 of the bulls out.

3zgeq2o.jpg

25_06,

Isn't it great when a plan comes together? Congratulations to you and all of your hunting party for such a successful hunt. Where is Mt. Emily? I used to live at Sun River, but I haven't heard of that location. I wish I could move back to OR, but the business just won't allow it right now.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts