3 groove or 6 groove - 25-06 AI

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Petersen, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Petersen

Petersen Well-Known Member

Thinking about a new barrel and I want a 25-06 AI in about a 28" finish length. I was looking at lilja barrels in either a #5 or #6 (1/10 twist). I plan on shooting berger 115 vld's.

Are there any any advantages with the three groove set up? What are my best options? Any help is appreciated.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

the 3 groove is supposed to last longer but I haven't seen any hard evidence to prove it ,if you call Dan Lilja he would likely give to the strait and narrow on both of his barrels. The 3 groove is a bit harder on thin skinned bullet like the Bergers and has cause troube with the hot maks blowing the bullets up due to bad jacked deformation , but in the 25-06Ai I doubt that your would push them that hard

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

What James Jones said.....
    As far a barrel life goes. I have a bout 700 rounds through my 270 AM and just gave it a colonoscopy Saturday and the smith said that wear/errosion was not a problem. I didn't tell him how many rounds and he guessed about 400 based on his experience with 300/7mm/30-378 1K shooter's barrels.

Maybe there is a little to the three groove thing??????

But it does tear up 195 gr WCs with I think J3 jackets.

4. Sendero_Man

Sendero_Man <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

If your thinker lighter bullets ever, better go with the 5 or 6 groove.

3 will tear um up..

5. Flybuster

Flybuster Well-Known Member

I can't really give you a reccomendation for that bullet, but I have the 3-groove in my 25-06 AI. It has shot very well with most of the bullets I have tested, mostly varmint bullets.

My experience is that the barrel cleans up very easily.

I have tried about a half of a box of the 115 Vld's but I just need to get another box and work with seating depths.

6. Petersen

Petersen Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input.

Flybuster-are you shooting the 1/10 twist??

I would also probably try some of the other hunting bullets; 110 accubonds, barnes bullets, etc.

I am actually kind of torn on whether I want the 1/10 or the 1/12 twist for lighter bullets.

7. Flybuster

Yes, I am shooting the 1-10" 26" sendero countour. The barrel was throated for the 87 TNT bullets, they shoot good. I was really hoping the 75 V-Max would work, but no luck.

My best long range load has been with 100 grain bullets. Especially 100gr SMK's, I'm only shooting them mildly at standard 25-06 levels.

8. Flybuster

You should have no problem getting the Barnes 100 grain TSX over 3500 fps.