3 groove barrells

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by RBrowning, Jan 7, 2003.

1. RBrowning

RBrowning Well-Known Member

Can someone explain the advantage or disadvantage of a 3 groove barrel? I am considering a 6.5-284 and don't want to overlook a possible major item.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. ewallace

ewallace Well-Known Member

Rick
    I havent used a 3 groove yet I think I herd where S1 is using some 3 grooves. I would call Dan Lilja and talk to hem or email Dan http://www.riflebarrels.com/ . My 6.5/284 is a Krieger 1 in 8.5 twist 28".
    Crow Mag

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Howdy Rbrowning

In two 30 cal cartridges, 7.62 NATO, and the 30 Wolf, The Lilja three grooves tested superior in 3 areas, Accuracy, Velocity, and Throat Life. The Krieger 4 grooves were close in accuracy, and velocity, not close in throat life. The Hart and Schnieder and Obermier were also close in accuracy. The Black Stars finished last in every catagory but throat life, and were not even close in the accuracy department.

[ 01-07-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

4. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

Dana Cambell, a gunsmith up here had done alot of testing with 30/378wbys using 3 groove barrels and found best results with them.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

My .22-250 has a 3 groove Pac-Nor 1:8 twist that is proving to be a good choice in accuracy and throat life. My 6.5-284 also has one identical to my .22-250 except for bore size, obviously. Its too early to tell with this one, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.