284 winchester

trigger puller

I am going to have to have to put a new tube on my rifle and was looking for pros and cons of going with a 284 win. Current chambering is 308 I can load out to 2.910 in mag length with a 168 VLD running 3100??? I would get to 1k with 22 MOA. Just don't know alot about this round good or bad. Thanks

SAMMI spec is about the same for COAL. So, your magazine should be fine.

284 Win is often used for f-class. So, I would think it'd be a good choice for long range targets and mid range hunting.

Pros -
good bullet selection
good barrel life
accurate
mild recoil

Cons -
lower MV than other 7mm's
no lapua brass

Not sure why 22 MOA matters. Mount a 20 MOA rail with good glass and you'll have no problems getting to 1k.

3100fps sounds overly optimistic. If that's important, you might want to look at the 7mm SAUM or 7 WSM. But, you'll have to open up the bolt face. And, you'll probably need to single feed or go to a long action. That's especially true if you go to the big 7's.

A lot depends on whether you're using it for recreational targets, competition, or hunting.

-- richard

It is a superb cartridge! Modest recoil, great external ballistics, efficient and accurate. Good brass.

No cons, unless you just want something else.

For the best results shooting 1K with a .284 you will beed to shoot 180 grain bullets. They need to be seated with the rear of the bullet bearing surface forward of the case neck shoulder juncture. If you are going to shoot this in a SA repeater the mag boxes will have to be cut, extended, and tig welded back together. There will be modifications to the stock inlet, feed ramp, rear of mag well, and bolt stop. Even the Wyatt extented boxes need to be extended further with the .284 and 180 Bergers.
Just finished chambering a .284 this morning. It required .165" freebore to seat Berger 180 hybreds touching the lands and forward of the neck shoulder juncture. the same setup will cause Sierra 180s to be jamming a little.
Nat Lambeth

Lapua makes brass. It just says 6.5 on it. The 168 might me the better choice for the case capacity and mag length.

I was tryong to keep cost to a min. and after reading on the 284 2950 sounds doable as for MOA I have a Leupold with 15 MOA per rev. that would keep me from going more that 2 turns I have a 20MOA base on the rifle. I should have looked a little longer for info but my 3 year old was not into the forum.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts