284 Win

Sharpshooter243

Is there anyone running this caliber? If so what do you think? I'm thinking about chambering one to run the 180gr VLDs but I only want to use a 26" barrel tops. Can I still take advantage of this caliber without running a 30" barrel

180s are a little heavy for a 284, loaded out with a longer throat in a long action a 26" 9 twist will get you 2750-2850fps. Your best bet is that combo using 168 jlks at 3k fps. Don't hold that cartridges potential back by using a short action though, the 284 is a very efficient case when the bullet isn't robbing powder space.

Is there anyone running this caliber? If so what do you think? I'm thinking about chambering one to run the 180gr VLDs but I only want to use a 26" barrel tops. Can I still take advantage of this caliber without running a 30" barrel

I would assume that your going to build on a long action. Mine 284 OAL with 160gr bullet is 3.100" on a long action and I think extra barrel length helps mine is 27" and I can get in the mid 3000fps with R-17.

There alot of info on the forum 6br site for the 284 with 180gr bullets as those guys are using them in F-Class and they could give you some numbers as those bullets seem to like a certain velocity for LR accuracy. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.