.284 win or 7mm-08 barrel life

rdmega

Which of these rounds loaded fairly hot shooting heavy bergers would have the best barrel life? I assume the 7mm-08 since its a little slower but how much? I am looking for something that lasts longer than a wsm or magnum.

I got about 4,000 out of my .308!

The 7mm-08 has 55 grains case capacity and a CIP pressure rating of 60191 psi.
The 284 Win has 66 grains case capacity and a CIP pressure rating of 63817 psi.

Certainly the 7mm-08 will have longer barrel life. The 284 Win gives higher velocity and muzzle energy and longer range. There's no free lunch.
Both should give longer barrel life than a 7mm WSM or 7mm Rem Mag. Both should give shorter barrel life than a 308.

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking. I guess the .284 is worth it from what I have read. Only a little more wear than the 08 but more velocity. I should be able to get about 2500 from what I read. Much better than the 1000 from magnums.

thanks

I don't consider the difference in the 7mm-08 and the 284 Win small. The 284 Win gives a bit higher performace than a 280 Rem. It has 2.8% less case capacity but 8.6% higher pressure rating.

Last edited:
I have never loaded or shot it, I am very interested in it though. That is an impressive difference for sure. It looks like it splits the difference between the 7mm-08 and the 7wsm in the 7mm world. Very sweet!

thanks for the numbers

If you're going to shoot "heavy Bergers" with either cartridge consider building in on a medium or long action. The magazine of a short action won't alloow VLDs to be seated properly and still feed. The same is true for the 7mm SAUM and 7mm WSM. Why all of the major manufacturers insist on putting these cartridges in short actions is beyond comprehension. I suppose its ok for hunting at under 300 yards.

I dont mean to high jack the thread but the 7-08 & 308 have the same case.
Why would the 7-08 have a shorter life?
Just trying to learn!

Ramp

"Why would the 7-08 have a shorter life?"

In the 7mm08 approximately the same mass of powder is forced though a bore with 18% less area at about the same temperature as the 308. (1-(308/284)^2)*100 That produces higher surface temperature in the throat area resulting in shorter barrel life. The effect isn't linear. For a SWAG I'd say the 308 would give 25% more barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.