284 Thor Progress

Just for clarification; how are you measuring your groups? .512" on the picture is a bit off, you need to measure center to center, or out side to out side and then subtract .284" from that.

On you ES and vel.

New barrels take some time to settle in. Typically they will increase in velocity over the first 40-80 rounds, depending some on the barrels manf. and cartige choice.

Also your ES should be a little high just from the fact of the constant cleaning you are doing to brake the barrel in, is changing with each shot the internal caracteristics of the bore.

My feeling is most guys would be best served to find a load that is a bit off of max and reasonably accurate. Either from past experience with a particular chambering and bullet, or from advice of a RELIABLE mentor. Load up 50-100 rounds and proceed to shoot them and shoot the barrel in. (also include whatever "brake-in" you believe in) At the end of 100 you should have a good stable velocity that has leveled off and is predictable. From there judge that loads accuracy, and tweak it for maximum performance in both accuracy and velocity.

Many times we mess with different loads too early in the barrels life.
I have had loads that I developed in less than 20 rounds thru the gun. loaded up 100 of them and at the end of the 100 was showing pressure signs and velocitys over 80 fps faster than original development data.
My recent 6mmbr is a good example, first shots fired were 2825 ave. with 31 grains of varget. Now after 60 rounds 30.5 varget has them at 2852 ave.

You're quite right Jim. We always see a pressure climb usually around 50 rounds down the tube. Its due to the throat roughening or thickening slightly. You usually have to drop one grain with the big guns at this point. So long as you're aware of this, you can work up your load while you're breaking the barrel in then just keep an eye on velocities and pressure from 40 rounds onwards till you have to drop the powder charge. What velocity shoots accurately before the change mostly works afterwards, just have to drop a grain to maintain the same velocity!
Greg

OK time to update those who are following this thread.
I bought a new house in Idaho and have been very busy over the last three months trying to get settled in before hunting season starts. I drew a Wyoming elk tag so a lot of work is ahead to prepare for the hunt.
Now to the Thor and the progress.
I have made it to the range 3 times to shoot the Thor. I now have 116 rounds down the tube and have broken in the barrel now so I can work on fine tuning the load.
US 869 is the powder of liking for this rifle. With 98.2 grs. pushing 180 Bergers at 3310 fps. 1/2 minute accuracy at 100yards. Very good ES. Although it has been 90 degrees or hotter by the time I get to the range. Still tweaking with the seating depth trying to find the magic fit. All the same it still looks good for the load of choice for this rig.
I am now starting the process of gathering data to have turrets made for the Huskemaw scope.
So far the max rage I have shot at is 275 at my local range.
I will try to keep this thread updated as progress is made.

OK time to update those who are following this thread.
I bought a new house in Idaho and have been very busy over the last three months trying to get settled in before hunting season starts. I drew a Wyoming elk tag so a lot of work is ahead to prepare for the hunt.
Now to the Thor and the progress.
I have made it to the range 3 times to shoot the Thor. I now have 116 rounds down the tube and have broken in the barrel now so I can work on fine tuning the load.
US 869 is the powder of liking for this rifle. With 98.2 grs. pushing 180 Bergers at 3310 fps. 1/2 minute accuracy at 100yards. Very good ES. Although it has been 90 degrees or hotter by the time I get to the range. Still tweaking with the seating depth trying to find the magic fit. All the same it still looks good for the load of choice for this rig.
I am now starting the process of gathering data to have turrets made for the Huskemaw scope.
So far the max rage I have shot at is 275 at my local range.
I will try to keep this thread updated as progress is made.

Since you like the 180 Berger VLD, you might want to try the Berger 180 Hybrids. They shoot very very well in my SAUM set at .01 off the lands. Just a thought.

UPDATE!!!!
I hit a major hurdle with the load development.
I found that I was pushing the 180 Bergers past the point they could handle. With a vel. of 3334fps. they came apart on ocassion. I Also found out that I have a 1 in8 twist instead of the 1 in 9 that I ordered !!!!
I have ordered up some 180 SMK's on my 'smiths adive as he said they would handle the situation at hand. I will update this thread with the results.
Looks like I won't be using this rig for hunting season this year.

Try the new 180gn Hybrids! We're driving them at over 3400fps and have had no problems with blow ups. They're shooting great at 1000 yards, and have killed deer real well to 600 yards for us so far. Haven't really stretched them out yet as we've been testing the 338 Hybrids on the long ones.
The 180gn SMK's are real easy to get to shoot, even easier than the 175gn SMK's, but not a patch on the BC of the Hybrid's.
Greg

Try the new 180gn Hybrids! We're driving them at over 3400fps and have had no problems with blow ups. They're shooting great at 1000 yards, and have killed deer real well to 600 yards for us so far. Haven't really stretched them out yet as we've been testing the 338 Hybrids on the long ones.
The 180gn SMK's are real easy to get to shoot, even easier than the 175gn SMK's, but not a patch on the BC of the Hybrid's.
Greg

Going to try the SMK's. Ordered a 1000 of them.
NOT TO SURE OF THE BERGERS RIGHT NOW. Hybrids,hybrids,Hybrids. We will see.

[/ATTACH]3103

The THOR drew blood this past week in Wyoming.
400 Yard shot in the high shoulder and it was down.
The 180 SMK's did the job this time.
We worked our butts off for this elk.
It pays to have great hunting buddies!!!

Attachments

• P9280005.jpg
    P9280005.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 63
  • P9280008.jpg
    P9280008.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 69
  • P9290012.jpg
    P9290012.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.