284 rebarrel

Not a ****ing contest. People come to these forums for information, CORRECT information not misinformation. I will bend over backwards to help any member of this forum including you, but I will also call anyone for spouting misinformation....just as I have been called down many times. The best thing to do when your wrong is admit it mend your ways and move on. I have wasted money listening to people spout bad info on forums. I would hate to see someone spend hard earned money to not get what they wanted.

BTW I did not open the link you posted but is it your first post where you tried to suggest 3 or 4 cartridges that were incompatible with his boltface.

Not a ****ing contest. People come to these forums for information, CORRECT information not misinformation. I will bend over backwards to help any member of this forum including you, but I will also call anyone for spouting misinformation....just as I have been called down many times. The best thing to do when your wrong is admit it mend your ways and move on. I have wasted money listening to people spout bad info on forums. I would hate to see someone spend hard earned money to not get what they wanted.

BTW I did not open the link you posted but is it your first post where you tried to suggest 3 or 4 cartridges that were incompatible with his boltface.
Then look in the mirror. I didn't suggest it would not work, it was one of the calibers I suggested.

The information I gave is sound. Even at identical velocities from the bbl, the 6.5 140 retains more of it's velocity at 1000ds than does the .284 180; at least on the three different calculators I have used in the last twenty minutes.

The only advantage to the .284 is greater energy and both have more than ample energy at that distance to take any varmint or medium size game.

I do not have exbal on this computer. I am not walking out to the shop to run it on. But when I run both bullets on quick target, that is not the outcome I get. The graphs are really terrible but here is what QT spit out. If launched at the same velocities the bullet with the higher BC wins. Someone kindly posted the BCs of these bullets earlier in the thread. Remember the higher number is better.

180v140.jpg

Here is what shooter for the droid spit out starting both at 3120 using G7.

21.9 MOA 180 Berger 3120 vel with 4.7 MOA wind 1286 energy 1793 velocity

24 MOA 140 Berger 3120 vel with 5.4 MOA wind 792 energy 1596 velocity

My ipod for both leaving 3120

22.9 drop 5.82 wind 1698 velocity 896 energy for the 140 berger G1

21.7 drop 5.10 wind 1813 velocity 1314 energy

I cannot explain the differences other than one was using g7 BC the other G1. I trust exbal more than the three above programs. I used to always have it on me until I switched to a droid phone. I bet it shows similar results.

Lets start over, maybe we got off on the wrong foot. You made a statement below "correcting" another member. Prove your statment in bold below.

No the 6.5 gives you much higher ballistic coefficients so you have better long range peformance in both accuracy and retained velocity.

A great example comes from comparing the .260 140 gr to the .300 wm 180gr.

At a thousand yards using standard loads you have 110 inchess less drop from the .260.

Pull up a ballistic calculator and compare long range performance between 7mm and 6.5 using standard loads and you will see similar results. The Higher BC of the 6.5 is more stable, and retains velocity better.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.