280ai

dskd

looking for load data for 280ai useing a 168 berger and n560 powder

need a start load

what kind of speed to expect

and do these pills like to touch the lands or be x off

thanks

I cant help you with that powder bullet combo.

But I can help you with the seating depth. Go to Bergers website and they have detailed instructions on working up a load by jumping the bullet at diffrent seating depths.

I jump all of my VLDs. .020 to .030 seems to be the majic number most of the time.

I did have one rifle that liked to be jumped .145

I know some will disagree. But:

NEVER EVER EVER seat your bullet in the lands if you are going to hunt with the rifle!!!!!! If you do you WILL eventually have a bullet get stuck in the lands. I bet it will be while you are hunting too!!!

By the way, I run 180 VLDs in my 1/8 twist 280 AI with Nosler Brass and CCI BR2 primers. With 56.5 grains of RL22. It is a tack driver. I shot that particular rifle at the ASC newshooter match a few weeks ago and made hit out to 1122.
I am gettin unusually good numbers. 2860 fps with the dope I run out to 1100

While you're at Berger's webpage, jot down the phone number and give them a call,
or email them reqesting load data.

Also, you might wish to look at Nosler's #7 reloading manual. While it does not provide
info for the Berger bullet, it does provide some useful info re powders that work for
their bullets. It also gives you a sense of where their maximums are using their load
data such as primers, cases, barrel rate of twist & length.

While you're at Berger's webpage, jot down the phone number and give them a call,
or email them reqesting load data.

Also, you might wish to look at Nosler's #7 reloading manual. While it does not provide
info for the Berger bullet, it does provide some useful info re powders that work for
their bullets. It also gives you a sense of where their maximums are using their load
data such as primers, cases, barrel rate of twist & length.

Berger is great at providing data. I've emailed them a few times and always gotten response. But I'll save you a bit of time and tell you that at this time they don't have load data for the AI's.

Good shooting!

thanks guys will give them a try any have a look in that book

tha a good speed with 180 im hopeing for 2900 with the 168s

will post how i go in a week or two

Been hovering this site, just registered, but have been working with the 280AI alot past couple years. Best load so far with Berger 168 gr. (target) VLD is 60.5 grains of Reloder 19, Norma fire-formed brass, Fed. 210M, seated about .020 off rifling. In the wind, 1" group at 200 yards. Velocity out of 28" barrel is about 2975+ fps; there's room for more speed, but it seems like a sweet spot. Best of luck.

By the way, I run 180 VLDs in my 1/8 twist 280 AI with Nosler Brass and CCI BR2 primers. With 56.5 grains of RL22. It is a tack driver. I shot that particular rifle at the ASC newshooter match a few weeks ago and made hit out to 1122.
I am gettin unusually good numbers. 2860 fps with the dope I run out to 1100[/QUOTE]

Building a 280AI long range hunting/Target 700yds to 1000+ was intending to shoot 180gr Burgers as above sounds like 1/8 twist is good but thinking of 26in or is it worth going to 28"? want 2800Ft +, any Idea on Barrel life Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.