280AI new barrel

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by fllefty, Jun 19, 2013.

1. fllefty

fllefty Well-Known Member

Question for the 280 ai experts. I should be getting my re-barreled rifle back soon and was wondering if I need a new die set. I have redding dies that are about 15yrs old before chambering was made to saami spec. I understand that it differs a little from original design, and smith said it will be saami spec reamer. Will be talking to smith about this but wanted some informed opinions, thanks.

2. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

I am certainly no 280AI expert! The change (or not) as it went to a SAAMI spec cartridge has generated a lot of debate. Specifically, is it indeed a change or is it simply confusion related to how the case is indexed when measured?? This thread has some great info, and a lot of it is conflicting :)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/280-ack-imp-40-degrees-vs-nosler-brass-112533/

You could call or email the die manufacturer to see what they say. If you have a way to measure headspace you can give your FL or body die a run and see if you have enough clearance to bump the shoulder. If you do, you are GTG.