280AI new barrel

fllefty

Question for the 280 ai experts. I should be getting my re-barreled rifle back soon and was wondering if I need a new die set. I have redding dies that are about 15yrs old before chambering was made to saami spec. I understand that it differs a little from original design, and smith said it will be saami spec reamer. Will be talking to smith about this but wanted some informed opinions, thanks.

I am certainly no 280AI expert! The change (or not) as it went to a SAAMI spec cartridge has generated a lot of debate. Specifically, is it indeed a change or is it simply confusion related to how the case is indexed when measured?? This thread has some great info, and a lot of it is conflicting :)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/280-ack-imp-40-degrees-vs-nosler-brass-112533/

You could call or email the die manufacturer to see what they say. If you have a way to measure headspace you can give your FL or body die a run and see if you have enough clearance to bump the shoulder. If you do, you are GTG.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.