280 remington

The 280 (especially the ai version) will top the 270 in everyyy category but that doesnt make the 270 a varmint round. Then again, to me, all cartridges are varmint rounds if i can shoot accurately enough to kill. The further out you shoot, the greater the advantage goes to he 280. But im a big bore guy so you can keep em both:cool:
your right about the 280 Ai but we were talking about the 280 rem it can be matched with the 270 there's new bullets by Berger,Barnes and nosler for the 270 that I think if I had my choice I would choose the 270

The 280 is a fine round. My brother has one and its a sweetheart to shoot and its very accurate. I personally think the 280 is a superior round than the 270 due to the higher B.C bullets. Im not saying the 270 isnt a good round because it is a wonderful caliber. Alot of critters have died by the 270. Its very much capable of taking any elk or moose on the planet. The 280 really is a very under rated round. I think thats due to the popular 7mm Rem mag and other hotter 7mms like the SAUM and WSM. its sad because its a cartridge that alot of people really over look. They have no idea what they are missing.

I love my varmint round. I've pushed the 175 Matrix beyond 3100 FPS out off my .270 AI but showed pressure. Settled for 2993 FPS (for now) as my accuracy load.
I don't think you could get much heavier of a bullet in a 280 rem.so I don't see that a 280 would be superior to 270 if you loaded to same pressures but im not going to say one is better but I wouldn't buy a 280 if I had a 270

I meant to add on my original response that it is a 2008 thread and zombied but can't see the entire screen on my LG G2 phone (despite its larger screen) and got too excited to respond. :):D:cool:

Nonetheless, I'm sure someone can use the info. :rolleyes:lightbulb

The 280 is a fine round. My brother has one and its a sweetheart to shoot and its very accurate. I personally think the 280 is a superior round than the 270 due to the higher B.C bullets. Im not saying the 270 isnt a good round because it is a wonderful caliber. Alot of critters have died by the 270. Its very much capable of taking any elk or moose on the planet. The 280 really is a very under rated round. I think thats due to the popular 7mm Rem mag and other hotter 7mms like the SAUM and WSM. its sad because its a cartridge that alot of people really over look. They have no idea what they are missing.
It's because everyone has "magnumitis". It seems fewer and fewer people are taking the time to enjoy the standard calibers these days and everyone has to have flatter, faster, more powder and flash, more recoil, more power. That said, I was really surprised to find that I'm getting the same velocity and energy out of my .25-06 Ackley as I am out of my .257 Wby Mag, with the same bullets. But the Weatherby uses 10gr more powder, has a belted magnum case, and has alot more recoil.

I can't wait to build a .280 AI. I've always been a 7mm nut. If you knew my collection, you'd have to agree.

I do own a bunch of large magnum caliber rifles, and am certainly not new to them, so I am not hating on them. For God sakes, I just got done building a .300 Ackley Magnum, which is bigger and badder than a .300 Weatherby. I've had a 7mm STW for 12+ years. But I've always had a .308 Win in the stable. But I have recently re-discovered how nice and pleasant it is to shoot the smaller standard calibers with my .25-06 Ackley & .30-06 Ackley builds.

The .280 trumps the .270 in my book...Always has, always will. And the .280 AI trumps the regular .280 Rem. That's just my opinion.

To me, the .270 is useless when you have .284 caliber bullets so closely related in size, with higher BC's, and slightly larger diameter and heavier weights.

These are just simply my opinions, and not meant to start any pizzing matches.

To me, the .270 is useless when you have .284 caliber bullets so closely related in size, with higher BC's, and slightly larger diameter and heavier weights.

The existence of .277 and .284 bullets are no difference than .308 and .312 bullets. As far as the .270 Win (produced in 1925) and .280 Rem (produced in 1957), it's respective firearm industry's design, marketing, and products. The bottomline, we have plenty of choices to choose from and we should all embrace them to satisfy our personal preferences.

The .280 trumps the .270 in my book...Always has, always will. And the .280 AI trumps the regular .280 Rem. That's just my opinion.

To me, the .270 is useless when you have .284 caliber bullets so closely related in size, with higher BC's, and slightly larger diameter and heavier weights

That is all that needs to be said.

It's because everyone has "magnumitis". It seems fewer and fewer people are taking the time to enjoy the standard calibers these days and everyone has to have flatter, faster, more powder and flash, more recoil, more power. That said, I was really surprised to find that I'm getting the same velocity and energy out of my .25-06 Ackley as I am out of my .257 Wby Mag, with the same bullets. But the Weatherby uses 10gr more powder, has a belted magnum case, and has alot more recoil.

I can't wait to build a .280 AI. I've always been a 7mm nut. If you knew my collection, you'd have to agree.

I do own a bunch of large magnum caliber rifles, and am certainly not new to them, so I am not hating on them. For God sakes, I just got done building a .300 Ackley Magnum, which is bigger and badder than a .300 Weatherby. I've had a 7mm STW for 12+ years. But I've always had a .308 Win in the stable. But I have recently re-discovered how nice and pleasant it is to shoot the smaller standard calibers with my .25-06 Ackley & .30-06 Ackley builds.

These are just simply my opinions, and not meant to start any pizzing matches.

My thoughts exactly! There is a 26cal which has a higher B.C than the 27 and then a 28 cal which is about the same as the 27 cal. Not really sure why it was made.

My thoughts exactly! There is a 26cal which has a higher B.C than the 27 and then a 28 cal which is about the same as the 27 cal. Not really sure why it was made.
I'm not sure, but I do know the 7mm caliber bullet has been around a LONG time before the .277 was. Designed in 1893, the 7x57 Mauser has been a staple over in Europe, where it started life as a military caliber, and is still regarded as one of the best hunting calibers to this day.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.