280 Remington

rtv900

I am new to all of this. I have done a lot of hunting and shooting just not at long ranges (300 yards or less). Lately I have been playing around with a T/C Encore in 25-06 and 280 Remington. I have been really impressed with both barrels but if I underatand things the 280 has better BC than the 25-06 will be able to have. First of all am I correct in saying that? If so, would the 280 be a good long range gun? Thanks for the help.

as afr as generaly available bullets goes yes the 280 will have higher BC bullets available than the 25-06. Wildcat bullets makes some heavier longer better BC bullets gor the 25 cals that may be woth a try , not to sure what you'lll be able to stabilize in a 1-10 twist.

The 162gr A-max is an awsome bullet for the 280 , they are relitivly cheap and have a pretty high BC , their not to hard to load with like the VLD bergers can be in some guns , the best thing about the Encore is that you can seat your bullets out as far as you want with not having to worry about magazine length issues.

What barrels do you have for your Encore? 24" , 26" , heavy? any work done to it? The encore can be made into a fine shooting rifle capible of making shot out to the same ranges as the bolt guns , you just gotts know what they like

James Jones,

I have been playing around with several bullets. I have not gone up to a 162gr yet. I am shooting an encore with pro hunter barrels. My 25-06 and 280 are both 28" blue fluted pro hunter barrels. They have been really accurate but I have not gone out past 300 yet with most of my shooting at the range at 200 yards.

The only thing done to the encore so far is a trigger job.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.