280 itch

texan79

I think I need to build a 280 Rem. Anyone have one that can tell me how they like it, and what they are loading? Load data that I have found for the 160 NAB seems unimpressive at 2700fps. Anyone pushing them faster and willing to share a recipe? This rifle is planned to be 10 pounder tops, with mid range capability. 500-700 yds.

any thoughts are appreciated.

I got it too, I'm going down the .280AI road though. The Ackley version has been standardized so reloading data is more available. The only factory brass that I know of is Nosler, but brass is easily fireformed, I'm gonna bite the bullet and spring for Norma brass for mine. The cartridge was originally released for a semi auto so SAMMI spec for chamber pressure is low compared to the .270, but the cartridge can be pushed well beyond what loading manuals say in a strong bolt action.When you step up to the Ackley version it will do **** near everything a 7Mag will with less powder and recoil.

Ive got a 7mag, so I'm looking to fill the gap and will stay with the standard chambering. As far as the norma brass, the heck with those prices. I'll prep remington brass all day long.

I think I need to build a 280 Rem. Anyone have one that can tell me how they like it, and what they are loading? Load data that I have found for the 160 NAB seems unimpressive at 2700fps. Anyone pushing them faster and willing to share a recipe? This rifle is planned to be 10 pounder tops, with mid range capability. 500-700 yds.

any thoughts are appreciated.

It is a good itch and can be scratched.

It is capable of 2800+ ft/sec with the 160 Accubond and very capable at 700+ yards.

With a 28" barrel it can be pushed even faster (Very close to a 7mm rem mag).

If you want a little more the 280 AI will step it up some more and is very easy to fire form
and load for.

A 1 in 9 Twist would be recommended for 150,160 and 170 grain bullets.

And a good hand lapped stainless barrel will aide in producing velocity.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.