280 AI with 180gr bullets?

G

Im having a heck of a time trying to find load data for this combo. Any suggestions? Im considering building one on a 28" barrel, and would like to get a ballpark velocity before hand to know if its really what I want or not. Thanks in advance.

MSU,

Simply use load data for the standard 280 Rem using a 175 gr bullet. In a 280 AI this will be plenty mild even with the extra 5 grains of bullet weight. Work up from there watching for the normal pressure signs.

Personally, I think the 280 AI is better served with a 160 to 169.5 gr class bullet but that is just my personal opinion. With some of the new VLD and ULD designed bullet out there in this weight range, there is really no need for more bullet weight unless your doing the EXTREME range thing.

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm having great success w/ my Rem 700 .280AI using the 168gr SMK. They are running at 2900fps from a 24" and shoot wonderful!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.