280 AI primer ?: Magnum or not???

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Just wanted to see what some of you guys were using. Thought about using the mag primer but I loaded some to test w/the CCI BR-2 primers.

I've had good luck with the BR-2's for years but found them to be a little harder than the Federal 210M that i use now.

I have seen in a bit smaller rounds like the 308 where the magnum primer killed the accuracy with to much power and in some cases I've heard that it will cause pressure issues from jumping the bullet out to the lands before the powder goes off.

Hi Bill,

I'm just getting starting reloading for my 280AI. I'm using Federal GM215M primers based on advice I got from JD338. He told me that when he changed to the match mag primers his groups tightened up.

Also if you've seen the groups he's gotten with his 280AI, you'd give these primers a try also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck!

Mine is not Ackleyrised but I have good result with Winchester large primer and the Federal 210 Match. As a matter of fact, I can use either one with no discernible difference in performance.

No need for a magnum primer at all. Even in cold weather with Ball powders I have never had one of my customers complain about inconsistant ignition with a standard cap.

CCI-BR2s are good primers.

Let us know how that thing shoots,

By the way, any pics of a certain axis buck yet????

Kirby Allen(50)

When I first started my 280AI load development, I was using the Federal GM210M primers. Accuracy was sub MOA. My gunsmith told me to switch to the Federal GM215M primers and the groups went well under .5 MOA. I don't feel that a magnum primer is required to ignite the powder charge, but the level of accuracy I am getting is extreamly good and justifies the use of the magnum primer.
Bill, I would recomend you at least try some Federal GM215M primers with RL22.

JD338

This is fairly interesting as I am having a 280AI barrel being built as we speak. It is also interesting that someone could get better groups by just using a mag primer? I guess if that is the case I too would use the mag primers!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Let us know how that thing shoots,

By the way, any pics of a certain axis buck yet????

[/ QUOTE ]

I know which one your really concerned about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Spent about 30 min on the phone w/Shawn trying to talk him through emailing the pics and I think we failed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. He's still on dial up and pretty much computer illiterate so I may have to have him mail me a CD so I can email them. Either way, we'll have you some pics by this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Then we can plan the event!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep me posted on the 280 AI. It showed great potential on the range test so interested to hear how she does for you.

As with all rifles, only trying a combination of componants will tell you if they are worth using. As mentioned, sometimes a hotter primer can get you better results with accuracy, other times it will degrade accuracy. Just have to try and see.

In most cases, a magnum primer is not needed or desired in a case of this capacity and the sharp shoulder angle also asks for a standard primer in most instances.

Kirby Allen(50)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!!!!!

Bill

I would recomend letting the load determine which primer
is best.

The only time I have needed the magnum primer was when
using 90 plus grains of very slow powder(50BMG,H870,ETC)

I always start with standard primers and work up(the cups
are thiner and pressure is easy to read)

If you reach max pressure with low standard deviation you
have enough primer.

If the standard deviation is poor (20 fps Plus)then a
magnum primer may be nessary. but load down if you switch
from stanard to magnum primer.

Magnum primers will increase velocity but may lead to poor
standard deviation,s and this could be a problem at long
range.

On long range rifle,s I try to keep a standard deviation
of less than 10fps.

I would think the 280AI should not need a mag primer but
recomend you chronograph each load to make sure.

Just an opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.