.280 AI controversy explained ...

All I know is that when mine is fully expanded it is longer than the accepted version

It's just getting to the fully expanded condition in the older models that is the problem

Woods, You posted on another site that you shot Nolser 280AI brass and had no problems case you forget

woods Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Houston
I have loaded a lot of Nosler 280AI brass and now some Nosler 280 rem brass in my 280AI. The 280AI brass developed do-nuts and the regular Nosler 280 rem brass does not.

Go figure.

Both are good brass but I prefer the Nosler brass that is the regular 280 rem, not just because of the do-nuts but because it does not need to be trimmed like the 280AI brass does. Perhaps pushing the shoulder farther forward on the regular 280 rem brass reduces neck length expansion.

Woods, You posted on another site that you shot Nolser 280AI brass and had no problems case you forget

woods Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Houston
I have loaded a lot of Nosler 280AI brass and now some Nosler 280 rem brass in my 280AI. The 280AI brass developed do-nuts and the regular Nosler 280 rem brass does not.

Go figure.

Both are good brass but I prefer the Nosler brass that is the regular 280 rem, not just because of the do-nuts but because it does not need to be trimmed like the 280AI brass does. Perhaps pushing the shoulder farther forward on the regular 280 rem brass reduces neck length expansion.

D:DH, now you've done it! :cool:

Attachments

• thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 79
You guys are getting pitiful

That thread is 6 years old and was a discussion BEFORE the facts came out about Nosler, Remington and SAAMI. Sure I had flattened primers but was not sure about the cause until the Gunsmith Talk thread in 2010. I was using the Nosler 280AI as I said and the Nosler 280 Rem as I said.

Mentioned the do-nuts but not the flattened primers or excess headspace, figured it was a bad box.

Now I know better

Must be getting desperate for facts to do a search that far back, especially as hard as it to search 24hr

Why don't you read this thread and refute the facts I have posted'

OR GET A LIFE

Just for the record the nosler 280 Ack. brass I necked up and fireformed to fit my chamber got donuts also. I have 100 pieces not all got donuts but some did. I also have new in the box 280 ACK. brass I have not used yet and would be willing to trade for some Nosler regular 280 Remington. I have to fireform anyway and would rather form regular 280 Rem. because I don't have a Nosler 280 Ackley Improved chamber. I have a 280 Ackley chamber.

You guys are getting pitiful

That thread is 6 years old and was a discussion BEFORE the facts came out about Nosler, Remington and SAAMI. Sure I had flattened primers but was not sure about the cause until the Gunsmith Talk thread in 2010. I was using the Nosler 280AI as I said and the Nosler 280 Rem as I said.

Mentioned the do-nuts but not the flattened primers or excess headspace, figured it was a bad box.

Now I know better

Must be getting desperate for facts to do a search that far back, especially as hard as it to search 24hr

Why don't you read this thread and refute the facts I have posted'

OR GET A LIFE

Woods, that post was dated 4-10-09 and you did quit using Nolser 280AI brass reason was the donut but you had problems with that chamber so how do you blame things on Nolser 280AI brass.

280 to 280AI brass issue. Suggestions wanted. - 24hourcampfire

Some of your first post where about how tight that chamber was.

I feel honored that you are taking the time to do searches on my past posts, even if you are looking for ammunition to attack me (guess you feel you are losing the battle on the issues in THIS thread)

Yes I do have a tight chamber. There is very little expansion in the case body but the ONLY reason that creates a problem is because my Redding Body Die does not have small enough interior dimensions to size the pressure ring. The problem is with the die, not the chamber

Do you have a problem with tight custom chambers?

So you found a thread about the do-nuts I developed in 280AI brass (appears Tnwhip has the same problem) where I clearly said I preferred 280 Rem brass, claimed that I had said I "had no problems"

Now you found a thread where I attempted to explain how a problem can occur if you have a tight chamber and a large die

Keep trying, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm for you, although it does begin to appear like this is becoming a personal attack on me. Typical modus operandi for liberals; can't fight in the arena of factual information so attack the credibility of the other party

Just like your buddy STRAW MAN FEENIX.

This thread would work a lot better if you would bring personal experience with the 280AI like Cockcroft, Tnwhip and I. If you don't have any direct personal experience then the thread would work a lot better if you would STFU

I feel honored that you are taking the time to do searches on my past posts, even if you are looking for ammunition to attack me (guess you feel you are losing the battle on the issues in THIS thread)

Yes I do have a tight chamber. There is very little expansion in the case body but the ONLY reason that creates a problem is because my Redding Body Die does not have small enough interior dimensions to size the pressure ring. The problem is with the die, not the chamber

Do you have a problem with tight custom chambers?

So you found a thread about the do-nuts I developed in 280AI brass (appears Tnwhip has the same problem) where I clearly said I preferred 280 Rem brass, claimed that I had said I "had no problems"

Now you found a thread where I attempted to explain how a problem can occur if you have a tight chamber and a large die

Keep trying, maybe the 3rd time will be the charm for you, although it does begin to appear like this is becoming a personal attack on me. Typical modus operandi for liberals; can't fight in the arena of factual information so attack the credibility of the other party

Just like your buddy STRAW MAN FEENIX.

This thread would work a lot better if you would bring personal experience with the 280AI like Cockcroft, Tnwhip and I. If you don't have any direct personal experience then the thread would work a lot better if you would STFU

Now, this thread has officially turned to bullchip, you started to set the tone and definitely ended it with STFU ... thanks to you.

The originally intent of my post is a positive exchange of information (as JE has clearly noted that is what this website is all about) but you simply responded bullchip!

I totally agree about sharing personal experiences, the difference however is that, others didn't get defensive and remained civil about it.

TOM H simply commented, he thought you had chamber problem and was wondering why you're blaming it on Nosler AI brass, what's wrong with simply answering him directly, instead you took offense to it.

Let's see, you introduced a math problem and now politics that has no bearing other than to skew the information and redirect the issue(s) at hand, that too is a typical liberal MO. lightbulb
images-2.jpg
out!
... and God bless!

Let me just ask it the way. Is there anyone out there that does not believe that there is and old Ackley chamber and a new Nosler ackley chamber being .014 shorter. If not, it is a real funny that a lot of people before us have written about it several years ago and they saw the same thing and put out an alert. If I had never tried Nosler brass I would have never had known there was a problem. Read this again Real slow from top to bottom.
280 Ackley Improved Alert | GunsmithTalk
If you can't under stand that the old chambers are different you are just stirring the pot. I don't understand what your purpose is?

If that link is not enough, just google 280 Ackley alert and there are lots of people on other web sites that say there is a difference from Nosler SAMMI and the old way of doing a 280 Ackley chamber. I myself am not going to try and explain the differnce anymore. I don't care if you if you get it or not, I can't help you. I am done with this. gun)

Just for the record the nosler 280 Ack. brass I necked up and fireformed to fit my chamber got donuts also. I have 100 pieces not all got donuts but some did. I also have new in the box 280 ACK. brass I have not used yet and would be willing to trade for some Nosler regular 280 Remington. I have to fireform anyway and would rather form regular 280 Rem. because I don't have a Nosler 280 Ackley Improved chamber. I have a 280 Ackley chamber.

the chance of encountering the dreaded doughnut are greatly amplified with the use of a forty degree shoulder. The brass flow simply takes the path of least resistance, and the shoulder/neck junction stops it there. some folks also feel there are gas flow issues with the steeper shoulder angle as well.
gary

I've heard about the .280 AI my whole life, and a few years back when I started looking into building one, all I kept readin about was the PO vs the Nosler/SAAMI chambers being 0.014" different.

So, there's no denying that i'm a believer. Even my gunsmith said he has 2 different reamers for it, old & new chamber.

So, for me that solidifies things...Especially since my smith said he's been building them for 40+ years (he's been smithing for close to 60 years now), and that several years ago he had to buy a new reamer for the new SAAMI chamber.

He's never lied, so I trust what he says 100%.

I've heard about the .280 AI my whole life, and a few years back when I started looking into building one, all I kept readin about was the PO vs the Nosler/SAAMI chambers being 0.014" different.

So, there's no denying that i'm a believer. Even my gunsmith said he has 2 different reamers for it, old & new chamber.

So, for me that solidifies things...Especially since my smith said he's been building them for 40+ years (he's been smithing for close to 60 years now), and that several years ago he had to buy a new reamer for the new SAAMI chamber.

He's never lied, so I trust what he says 100%.

You're gunsmith is right, there are different reamers and dies out there ...

Untitled_zpsaa3e8043.jpg

(Caliber List : CH4D)

Back when they switched to SAAMI spec stuff, the old chambering REDDING dies was still labeled as "280 Rem Imp 40 Degrees", while the new ones were simply labeled "280 Ackley Improved." According to editor Layne Simpson (7mm STW creator) of Rifle Shooter Magazine. I remember reading this article when it came out. Can't believe I found it online again. LOL

New and Improved: The .280 Ackley Improved - RifleShooter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.