280 AI and 168g VLD's

clamb4

I have two 280AI's both custom rifles one with a 23" barrel and one with a 26" barrel. I am interested in loading them with the 168g VDL. Could you guy's with experience with this caliber and bullet give me some load data and expected velocity. I remember Shawn Carlock built a 280AI and said it was good out to 800 yards, but he didn't list a load. I called berger and they E-mailed me standard 280 data but nothing for the 280AI. I would think maybe Retumbo powder would be a good powder to try, I know it works well in 7mm mag. Thanks for the help.

According to the Sierra reloading manual 54.5gr of RL-22 was the accuracy load with the 168gr SMK. It had a MV of 2800fps in a 26" barrel. The max load with that powder is 56.4gr and gives a MV of 2900fps. Startling load for RL-22 is 48.8gr. They don't give info for Retumbo with the 280 AI in this manual.

Son and I both have 280AI and both are using H4831sc - we get just over 2800 fps. Tried RL22 and got over 2900 fps - all with the 168 VLD's. Settled on the 4831sc because of consistant vel. through chrony.
I would like to here your results and thoughts after you have run some retumbo through yours. I've always wanted to try it but have never got around to it.

I have some time off work between Christmas and new years. Plan on testing the 168g VLD's and 160g AB's with retumbo, RL-22, and possible IMR 4831 since I have all three on hand. Will post results if things go to plan.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.