280 ackley improved bullet question

458win

Just purchased a 280AI in a Cooper Excaliber. 24 tube with a 1-10twist. Will it stabilize 168gr SMK's or not probable? If not what bullet would you recommend for long range target shooting. Not competition just shooting metal plates at 1000-1200yds..

Scope choice is either a nightforce

3.5-15x50

or

5.5-22x50

With the NPR2 reticule although a possible mildot maybe a option.

Can't help you with the SMK but I use the Berger 168 VLD's with a 1-10" twist and a 25" barrel and they stabilize well out of my 280AI.

I am not at home so am going from memory: 58.0 gr. H4831SC, Fed. 210M primers, 168 VLD bergers set @ .010" off the lands. My son had the same rifle built a year after mine and he's at 58.5 gr of H4831SC and is .005" off his lands. We got better velocity with RL22 but ran into consistancy problems with different lots of powder. The chrony shows we are just over 2800 fps. On a side note with the Ackley cartridges - work up slowly and carefully - I have found more than once that the normal pressure signs that show up with standard cartridges are not the case with an Ackley cartridges. When you reach max. pressure with an Ackley you may be in trouble. Feel free to get a hold of me if you have any further questions. Between my son and I we have pretty much tried about everything with this caliber. That is not to say we dislike it - in fact that is just the opposite. We use it on everything here in Montana - and we use them a lot. IMO this cartridge is as good as any non magnum caliber and a lot better than most. I might add that our use is for actual hunting - the only paper punching we do is for load work up, sighting in, and practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.