280 Ackley Imp with Barnes TSX

hayman1

Reposted here from new introductions since I could not get to this posting area at first

Hayman here- just joined as I was reading a post from one of your members on loading for a 280 AI. Long time shooter and reloader, now mostly hunt chucks and deer for the dogs. Like 200-300yd shots-just more fun that way. Located in Shenandoah Valley of Yirginia

Just got my 280AI built with a #6 barrel, 27" on a Ruger #1 Sporter frame. I have run about 50 rounds through it- just starting to get the hang of it.

Also load for 7-08 rem in a CDL bolt action. Have used 4064 all my reloading life having started with a 243. Big fan of Sierra bullets-never done me wrong. I am currently loading 140 gr sierras and 140 gr Barnes TSX over 45 gr of 4064, new nosler factory brass, and Rem LR primers . They are starting to shoot fairly well.

I have a can of H4831 SC and did a search for that when I hit a post from your site from 2011 extolling the virtues of H4831SC in the 280AI. That post was talking 59-62 gr of H4831SC with a Nosler 140 gr bullet. However, when I measured out the powder at 60 gr it looks like it will be a fairly compressed load with the Barnes. Thought I would check this out with you 280 veterans before I blew myself to heck and back. Any thoughts or high accuracy loads for the 140 TSX?
progress.gif

I am loading 61.9 grains of H4831sc under a 150 gn Long range accubond. Those are vary long bullets and I am not compressed . I am loaded just off the lands, Are you seating to factory load standards? hope this helps.

I am loading 61.9 grains of H4831sc under a 150 gn Long range accubond. Those are vary long bullets and I am not compressed . I am loaded just off the lands, Are you seating to factory load standards? hope this helps.

Yes, shooting just off the lands-gets me to mid point between ring one and two on the bullet-seated on the full width just below the first ring so one ring of the bullet is showing. Can't imagine that the 140 and 150 look that much different but I have not seen the 150.

Did shoot 54 gr of H4350 today and it is almost dead flat at 100 and 200 with the 140 sierra pro hunter-flat base. Can't go wrong with that. Barnes shoots a little higher and to the left 1" with the same scenario which I have been seeing throughout my shooting with the 280.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.