280 Ackley Imp load suggestions - new Lilja barrel

remshooter

Getting a 24" 1-9twist Lilja #3 contour on my Rem 700 in a few weeks. Anybody have any loads that work for them? I'm thinking something in the 140grn range but would take any suggestions. I have some factory ammo, Federal 140gr Bear Claws (nickeled cases), to fireform and break in but where to go from there? Thanks.

Remshooter, You might consider making brass out of Win 270 brass. You need to step it up, but with a Redding die using a tapered expanding die, it is an easy conversion. The web on 270 is stronger than 280 brass. It just has a funny looking headstamp! I also found that the discontinued H450 powder was the best in the 280AI. You can still find some at shows, etc. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wapiti13,

Remember that if you use 270 brass, you need to neck it up to 30 cal first and then back down to 7mm for the 280 because the shoulder location on the 280 is farther forward then the 270.

Just making sure we keep that headspace correct, no need to at best score the hell out of a new chamber and worst case, well who knows.

Kirby Allen(50)

Good point Kirby. Haven't formed 280 brass for 15 years. How easy one forgets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I used Federal GM 30-06 brass for my .280AI. My best load uses 168gr SMK's and RL-22. Will hang around 3" at 400 yards w/o being real careful of the wind. On good shooting days (low wind) it will do better.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.