280 Ack Ruger did its thing

Tnwhip

The other evening I was in my ground blind over looking a field that had cut over corn and soybeans. It was cloudy and getting dark early. I was scanning and I see movement in the corn stubble. 5 or 6 deer were feeding at the edge of the field. The last one was a shooter. I checked the range and it came up 524 yds. 3 times. It was getting darker by the minute. Wind was calm I made my mind up to shoot. I cranked the yardage up on the Viper and settled in. I put the crosshair on his shoulder and got steady and let the 162 A-max fly. When the rifle settled back down I could see a deer with big antlers running across the field. The first thought was I missed. The shot felt good. That deer ran 340 yards across the field into the woods. Crap it was getting dark and I hate tracking deer in the dark. Well I packed up my gear and went to the truck and the 4 wheeler. I rode out into the field and It was hard to tell where he was standing. I ranged back to my blind and 400 yds. I kept going 450, 475, 500, and there he was 524 yards. I guess he dropped in his tracks. The big deer I saw running across the field was not the one I shot. I could not see him because of a little knol in the field. He must have been behind it. This one was a 7 point with 18" inside spread. He had been fighting with the other deer because he was all cut up and had 3 points broke off, both brow tines. That lower antler is just a stick holding his head up. I went back the next morning after the other buck and it was so foggy that I could not see very far. 8:00 a doe ran out in the field at 100yds. and the big buck was chaseing her and they ran right back into the fog. No chance for a shot. 8:45 a small 4 point was tracking them about 275 yards down the field the big buck came running out of the fog and chased the little buck off and went back the way he came. Could never get a shot. I hunted all day and the next and never saw him again. I should be out this morning but we are having a freezing rain all day. They should be out after this bad weather is over.

Attachments

• 524yds 12-3-13.jpg
    524yds 12-3-13.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts