280 ack imp 40 degrees vs Nosler brass

Ok, let me throw a wrench in the works. According to Redding's website they offer a different shell holder to make up for the difference in dies from their older 40 degree marked dies to their newer Ack Imp marked dies. According to the test done on the gunsmithing network that one of the members put in this thread there is NO difference in the Nosler chamber and the old 40 degree chamber If thats the case why is Redding saying there is? I just got a neck sizer only die from Redding and its marked Ack Imp, not 40 degrees so according to them it wont work in my 40 degree chamber but my older dies will. Thanks Nosler for confusing some of us, its always good to be confused when loading ammunition!

Thanks Cowboy,
I sent off a email to Dakota Arms ref my new 97 Hunter and Red Hawk Rifles who is building my son a 280 AI. Both of them advised they chamber for the 40 degrees version which is what my Redding dies are for. So it sounds like I can get away with using the Nosler brass I already have? If so thats good news. Thanks

Did you ask them if you can use Nosler brass?

Anyone know where I can find the RCBS .280 AI 40* shoulder Neck-Sizer Die Set for sale right now? Midway is sold out, and it shows they won't have any before the middle of September.... I will be needing them before then, way before then... So, if anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks.

Anyone know where I can find the RCBS .280 AI 40* shoulder Neck-Sizer Die Set for sale right now? Midway is sold out, and it shows they won't have any before the middle of September.... I will be needing them before then, way before then... So, if anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks.

Why not use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer for the 280 Remington caliber

Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 280 Remington 7mm Express

It's what I use (you can throw the seater away if you don't need it)

BTW here's what Lee says about the problem we are discussing

280 Ackley Improved Dies - Support Center

"The Very Limited Production PaceSetter 280 Ackley dies are for the original 280 Ackley Improved. The Lee 280 Ackley Improved full length sizing die has a .014" longer head space than the SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved specification. Cases sized in a Lee die may not fit in a rifle chambered for the SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved. The Lee 280 Ackley Improved die should not be used to size cases for riles chambered for the SAAMI 280 Ackley Improved. "

I don't like bushing dies. Never really have cared for them. Yes, I know how they work, no, I don't need convincing why I should like them over regular ones. LOL

I just need some RCBS .280 AI .40* shoulder Neck-Sizer Die Set, if anyone can help me out. Used dies are fine by me, as well.

I wonder if the die makers have seen the abovelink. After giving this some more thought I pondered. Ackleys designs generally had his improved case a few thou shorter than the parent case at the neck/shoulder junctio allowing standard ammunition to be fired in his improved chamber. If noslers chamber was actually 14 thou short then standard brass/ammo should give at least a little resistance on closing the bolt or wouldn't chamber at all. Iv used Norma 280 brass and other standard ammo which chambered just fine and Iv used Nosler AI brass which is a very good fit from new in a supposedly original ackly chamber. So far I'm inclined to believe the video and think this is a non problem

In 2005 I purchased Wilson arbor neck bushing die and seater for the 280 Improved 40 degree and just prior to take delivery of a 28 June of 2006 I purchased a Redding body die for the 280 Ackley Improved 40 degree. I fireformed brass rifle shot great and after Nosler came out with their brass that's what I used and new case chambered slao resized with body die never had any problem.

I know Woods from posting on Nosler site and here and it's bad deal for everyone that has those chambers. On the same turn how did wildcatters manage prior to SAAMI spec 280AI. Had Nolser not made that 280AI brass I would of used my dies on firformed cases.

Yeah it's a bad deal.

The answer is simple: if you have an older 280AI chamber, use 280 Remington caliber brass. If you have a new SAAMI chamber, use 280AI Nosler brass or 280 Remington caliber brass

I seen your last post and pictures. I've got some of the older 280AI in it will vary in case length and I think some of that is case is not really formed at the shoulders. You can mike the dia at the shoulders and find that will vary also.

If you think the cases are off call Nosler give them the run # or send cases back to them.`

The cases are not off, they are at saami spec. Problem is many chambers are .014 longer than saami spec. I can use the cases, no problem. All I have to do is run out to the shop and turn out an expander mandrel to neck the brass up a bit until it will not chamber, then neck it down with a sizing die until I get a crush fit.
I think you are correct that the older cases were not fully formed and think that is the reason they would work in both saamit and non saami chambers. These newer cases have sharper shoulder and seem to be fully formed and short.

RCBS web site shows the ack imp dies are for the 2008 SAAMI spec version. Looks like you need to go to Redding or RCBS custom shop or at least speak to them to confirm you are getting the none SAAMI version.....
I just received my Redding neck size die from Midway and it was marked on the web as 40 degrees but the box indicates it is the new saami version. Sending it back.
I am waiting on a reply from Dakota and Red Hawk Rifles to what cases they use in testing before shipping.

........it was marked on the web as 40 degrees but the box indicates it is the new saami version. Sending it back.

Both the old version and the new SAAMI version have 40° shoulders. The difference is the length of the case. You would want the short SAAMI version die. With the correct shell holder or a shim, you can use it to size either length case.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.