28 Nosler COAL problem

Will83

I have a new bighorn tl3 long action (cut for ai/aw mags, so no feed lips) that I want to build a 28 Nosler on. I want to run 195 bergers in it, so I will need an extended magazine system. The opening for the mag on the bottom of the action measures 3.78". Is there anything that I can run that will accommodate me? Or will I have to machine my action and run a 338LM bottom metal and magazine? (If this is even possible) I really prefer not to do this. I have a feeling that this is a Ryan Pierce type of question, but checking here first. I'm thinking about a .270-.300 freebore with the 195 grain setup. Thank you in advance for any info that you may have!

338 Lapua Saami OAL is 3.68". 28 Nosler max cartridge OAL is 3.34" I don't think you will need more than a 3.78" box unless you plan on seating your bullets way out. Super long bullets seated out to max usually don't feed well and are usually best suited to single fed range rifles. These bullets should work just fine seated at 3.34" and give you the close to the free bore you are looking for. Saami spec on that reamer is .271" free bore. Your actual free bore is dependent on how far out you seat your bullets.

If Ryan is your smith on the project then go with what he recommends. I know he has built a few 28 Noslers.

I am thinking of maybe seating the 195s out to 3.73". Does anyone know if there is an ai style magazine that will work with a regular long action bottom metal that will at least come close to letting me seat them 3.73"?

Put in a call to PT&G, they carry several and can probably get us headed in the right direction. They have some on website that are 3.850" but I think that's magazine outer dimension. Worth a call tho.

I am not familiar with the Bighorn but would assume it will work fine with Remington style DBM bottom metal. Accurate mag makes 3.850 DBM that should work.
REMbebottommetalkit.aspxON BOTTOM METAL KIT

Thank you for all of your help. I was just researching accurate mag. I called a tech there and the 3.85 will definitely work for the cartridge oal, but the magazine opening on my action is only 3.78. They offer a 3.775 magazine that should work with my action, but I believe that the internal length is only around 3.67" or so. I need about 3.73". Does anyone know if the 3.775" mags have a blinder plate I may can take out or alter to extend my length? The only other options that i see is to either mill into my action to extend the mag opening to accomodate the 3.85" magazine, which i dont want to do due to potential feeding problems. Or, I can use Phoenix Custom Rifles reamer in order to fit the 195's into a regular magazine. This may lose powder capacity and potential accuracy. If someone sees another option, please help! I have my heart set on this 28 Nosler setup. Thanks to all in advance.

I recently had a 28 Nosler built on a trued Remington 700 action in BDL configuration. My gunsmith used a custom 28 Nosler reamer and upon completion of my rifle he put together 3 dummy rounds for me that mimic cartridge dimensions of his & his customer's rifles. He gets best results with the ogive 0.015 inches off the lands. My 3 dummy cartridges were set up using that measurement in my chamber which resulted in these numbers:

Case Base to Bullet Tip @ .015 off the lands = 3.740 inches; Case Base to Bullet Ogive 2.988 inches.

I was not interested in a detachable magazine set up and I bought and used a Wyatt MBE 3 Extended Magazine Box-3.825 in. Interior Length.

With my Case Base to Bullet Tip length of 3.740 inches, the only part of my Berger 195 EOL bullet that extends into the case below the case neck/shoulder junction is the tapered portion. You would be hard pressed to seat the bullet out much further and still have the neck "hold onto" the bullet securely. I'm not saying you couldn't see the bullet out further but I am saying I won't seat bullet out further.

I have yet to shoot this rifle but I do plan on using Retumbo for a couple of reasons. I have a number of rounds loaded beginning at 75 grains and increasing one half grain at a time up to 78 grains for the first round of shooting. No excuses, just haven't got around to it yet. I'm not planning on exceeding 3100 ft./s and will be happy if I can find a consistently repeatable load that will give me 3050 ft./s. A buddy of mine is getting these results and more with Retumbo out of a Christensen factory rifle, which has a 3.700 inch magazine box.

While my cartridge measurements are actual, I have NO shooting experience with this cartridge. I hope to change that very soon. Best of luck with your build.

I have a new bighorn tl3 long action (cut for ai/aw mags, so no feed lips) that I want to build a 28 Nosler on. I want to run 195 bergers in it, so I will need an extended magazine system. The opening for the mag on the bottom of the action measures 3.78". Is there anything that I can run that will accommodate me? Or will I have to machine my action and run a 338LM bottom metal and magazine? (If this is even possible) I really prefer not to do this. I have a feeling that this is a Ryan Pierce type of question, but checking here first. I'm thinking about a .270-.300 freebore with the 195 grain setup. Thank you in advance for any info that you may have!

I have BHA SR2 LA and I use a 5-round .300 RUM magazine (3.850") from accurate mag (item # 00100-0043) for my .30 Lara

Last edited:
No problem, good luck to you and the OP, cheers!
That sounds like exactly what I want! Does your SR2 have a 3.78 action opening too? Does the 3.85 mag work without altering the action? And what brand bottom metal and magazine did you use? Sorry for all the questions, Feenix, I'm just excited and doing my due diligence. I just was unaware if the 3.85 magazine would fit in the 3.78 hole in the bottom of the action. Is this due to the 3.85 mag length counting the flange or something that sits below the action, and the top part of the magazine slightly smaller to fit the hole? Thank you so much for your help sir!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.